DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Error with re-installing FG and accessing existing campaign data

I am the GM with an ultimate license, running on Windows. I have all our campaign files stored locally on my machine. Recently my machine crashed and I did a reinstall of Windows. It saved all my local data in a folder ("File History") after the reinstall.

I reinstalled FG and then tried to copy all my old FG data from the "File History" backup to the new install location but I can't seem to get it to link correctly. I'm also getting an error when I run updates.

Any suggestions? Following are a screenshot of the error message I am receiving as well as the folder structure where I am pointing to with the updater.

image.png
    image (1).png

Blog Entries
    Only move the stuff from your old FG Data directory to your new FG Data directory. I have no idea where it was on your old install, but you can find it on your new install by clicking on the folder icon from the FG launch screen.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I believe I tried that. I copy/pasted the old FG data from the backup directory (in "File History") to my new directory. The new directory is in the screenshot I attached to my previous post. I pointed to the new data directory with the folder on the FG launch screen, but my campaign still doesn't seem to show up.

Is there anything else I can try?

Blog Entries
    That first image you pasted is showing that it can't find the executable file for FG, the shortcut to launch FG shouldn't be pointed at your appdata directory.

This is where my executable resides: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGrounds.exe"
    Ultimate License Holder

Quote Originally Posted by rscottfarris View Post
    I pointed to the new data directory with the folder on the FG launch screen, but my campaign still doesn't seem to show up.
    The error shows that you've pointed the "App directory" in settings to the data directory.

See the screenshot of the settings window in step #3 here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...Setup_Tutorial

The "App directory" should be where the FantasyGrounds.exe file is installed - usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds

The "Data Directory" needs to be your directory where your data (including the campaigns, etc.) is stored - C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Roaming\FantasyGrounds based off your screenshots.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for the help, all. I'll switch the App directory location back to C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds when I'm home from work and report back.

Very much appreciate the help and quick responses

I pointed the App directory back to C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds. The error regarding the exe file is now gone. Thanks!

However, it seems as though FG is still unable to recognize my existing campaigns, even though the Data location is pointing to where the data exists. For reference, the path is: C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds

Screenshots:
    settings.png
    data folder.png
    campaigns.png

I've run the updater and still no campaigns other than the 5E Sample show up for me. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

You will need to copy over your campaigns folders from File History and paste it into the FGData/campaigns folder. If you have done that already I do see a weird symbol in the file folder of the Storm Kings Thunder campaign. You should remove that whatever it is.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Make sure you've closed all instances of Fantasy Grounds. Then start FG and click the folder icon in the top right corner of the main launch screen and navigate to the campaign directory in the file explorer window that appears. Does this show the data you expect? Keep this window open. Create a new campaign in FG, load it up, then exit - has a new directory been created in the file explorer window?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

@Trenloe - I followed your steps. It was pointing to the right directory when I clicked on the folder on the top right, with all the data I'd expected. I created a new campaign and it shows up in FG, and is in the same (existing) directory in the file explorer window as my old data (which still does not show up in FG). Thoughts?

@Zacchaeus - I'll try removing the character, thank you. However other old campaigns without unique characters in their titles are also not showing up.

Thread Information