DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    Concerning "Original Size": This is how maps are loaded by default. Being scaled twice (program + Windows scaling) leads to huge windows that don't fit the screen. Even at 100% some map windows don't fit my 30" screen (2560 px) when being opened, so I personally I would prefer if maps and images were not automatically scaled at all.
    Original Size will display within the FG window on a one-to-one pixel base. Of course, if you're then using scaleui and windows application scaling, these will be applied as well - we don't want FG to be overriding application scaling.

There are various re-scaling options to set the image size the way you want it - giving all users the option to setup the image window relevant to their setup and scaling. See the video here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post304700 Once you've set the size and position of a window, that window will open at the same size and position where it was closed (with only a couple of exceptions for key system windows).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    When opened "original size" a 4500 x 4500 pixel image will be opened at one image pixel per screen pixel. Hence 100% zoom or full size. Hence it opens larger than the FG window. If you resize the image before you share it, or use resize > small you will be fine.

In general, you just have to understand how FG "thinks".

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I do understand how resizing works, but do not agree with FG's logic.

- "Original size" should not upscale the image when Windows and/or FG scaling is used, this is not original 1:1 size anymore.

- "Original size" should not increase the windows/maps/images border to exceed the desktop size. Using "Resize -> Small" can even lead to the window vanishing completely from the desktop if it has been moved too far upwards before. Just keep the border inside the FG window like when a map/image is opened for the very first time.

Is there any way to reset a window position and zoom to factory defaults (like opened for the first time)?

I do understand how resizing works, but do not agree with FG's logic.

- "Original size" should not upscale the image when Windows and/or FG scaling is used, this is not original 1:1 size anymore.

- "Original size" should not increase the windows/maps/images border to exceed the desktop size. Using "Resize -> Small" can even lead to the window vanishing completely from the desktop if it has been moved too far upwards before. Just keep the border inside the FG window like when a map/image is opened for the very first time.
    Well, I disagree with your logic - 1) FG should not override operating system scaling. And 2) for a lot of people who use FG for face-to-face games, opening the window full size is a nice thing.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Reset window position.... yes but I'm not sure I recall exactly... I think if you delete the windowstate.xml file from the campaign and then relaunch FG. Do that at your own peril!

As for resize small, I've never seen that cause a window to disappear. If reproducible it might be a bug for the house of healing.

In terms of window scaling, you can always add a suggestion to the wishlist, but since these types of things are personal preference and would change known behavior for all users, it is unlikely they would be adopted. But, not my call to make

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

No (known to me) imaging (display or editing) software applies system scaling to image content, only ever to UI elements. Browsers and PDF viewers do apply system scaling to image content to keep things in line with text content and usually they offer some way to turn this off or workaround it.

Using "Original size" does not resize the window to full desktop size like FG does when you open an image/map for the first time. Instead it draws the borders well outside the desktop regions for larger maps (Hallod's hideout) even on high resolution desktops. Where is the exact use in that compared to scrolling inside a properly bordered window?

Trying to decrease the border size via CTRL-mousebutton-movement can lead to the content being upscaled slightly (by some pixels). Trying to use "Resize -> Small" can lead to the window vanishing off the screen when its upper left corner is already too far off the screen (because the oversized window had to be pushed upwards). It's a very strange handling on in-application windows and 1:1 zooming that I never consciously experienced before in any software. So it's at least mildly confusing.

There also is some problem with saved window placement when scaling is switched, but I recognize we already went far too off-topic and I reserve such bug reports for when Unity hits. Also please feel free to move all my off-topic posts elsewhere or delete them to clean up this thread.

Coming back to the original topic about image memory consumption: Why does FG seem to use 2.5 to 3 times the memory of what an image actually consists of (in 24 bit RGB data)?

No (known to me) imaging (display or editing) software applies system scaling to image content, only ever to UI elements.
    Actually, there are plenty - just search for them via google.

But, anyway, as I've said multiple times - you *need* (I mean, *really* need) to stop bringing your super top quality, massive pixel resolution, in-depth print quality image preconceptions to a VTT designed to allow people to play table top RPGs over the Internet. If you're seriously expecting all the things you've been posting then you're going to continue to be disappointed. Sorry, but this is simply the realistic truth of what a RPG VTT is going to do. Yes, graphical "stuff" will be improved in FG Unity, but not to the level that you're expecting. Please manage your expectations!

Blog Entries
    Scaleui and window placement is a known issue. I believe this is because window positions are defined in number of pixels from top left. FGU might be be taking a different approach though.

I know IrfanView, Faststone, XnView, ACDSee, Lightroom, Photoshop, Paint.net, GIMP and lots of others. Of course none of these would ever apply UI scaling to the image content they are displaying/editing when an image is displayed at 1:1 (100%). This is UI usability stuff and thus has nothing to do with pixel-resolution expectations. I am experiencing these usability issues with content/maps created and sold by your shop. I am not bitter or disappointed or anything, just reporting the challenges I face.

Originally I hoped that I could just reuse the images I already created for printing, so that I don't have to do two versions for printing and VTT. I understand that this is not practical, especially due to bandwidth reasons (30-40 mbit upload bandwidth here).

Anyway, my question was about FG's memory usage for opening *any* image, and thus more on-topic to this thread. The 62 dpi image of "Hallod's hideout" from "The Fall of Plaguestone" PF2 adventure corresponds to 20 mb of pure image data, yet FG uses 60 mb of private memory to open the corresponding map window.

So I am curious why the overhead is so large? I also wonder why the overhead of my 100 dpi image was only 2.5 times instead of the same 3 times (should I check again)? Is this expected behavior?
    Last edited by Weissrolf; December 5th, 2019 at 22:08.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Reset window position.... yes but I'm not sure I recall exactly... I think if you delete the windowstate.xml file from the campaign and then relaunch FG. Do that at your own peril!
    Thanks for the hint. This works, albeit it does reset *all* windows positions, not just single ones. So "peril" might be the correct description.

Thread Information