5E Character Create Playlist

Fantasy Grounds DM and Player character creation

I'm a new user as such I do apologise if this has been asked before but I looked and could not find anything on the subject. I wanted to confirm a few things about character creation. The system I am using is D&D 5th edition so I assume this is the correct place to put the post, again I do apologise if this thinking is incorrect.

I want to guide a player through character creation with fantasy grounds can this be done?

if it can then

- How would this be done. Would I create the campaign, let them join and then just access the character sheet they create and talk them through it that way?

- Can I open all the rule books with races/classes/feats/backgrounds/etc... and have the player access the same content I am? (I heard talk of overloading Fantasy Grounds is that a thing?)

- How is the player's character saved, is it player side, DM side or both?

For anyone who reads this thank you very much for your time.

Beard Wizard.
    Last edited by BeardWizard; December 3rd, 2019 at 00:45. Reason: Forgot to ask an additional question. Then forgot a " ' " for player's character.

Welcome!

This article may be of help. I keep this bookmarked mainly for section 3, to remind myself of the ideal order of adding things to the character sheets in FG, which differs a bit from the order in the 5e rules.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...haracter_Sheet

I'm sure someone will drop by shortly to address your questions, btw. I'm currently holding a squirmy 4-month-old, so I can't type very fast...

Blog Entries
    Welcome! This is the perfect place to post these questions. And though similar ones have been asked before, no problem asking them again.

So how I do it is like you said, I start a campaign, have them join and then walk them through it. I've never needed to screen sharing, but you can do that with Discord so you see exactly what they see.

Yes you can load all the character creation content. The player will want to do the same, you will need to go into Library > Modules and make sure the resources you want them to have access to have a green mark. Then they will need to load them like you would.

A player can overload FG, but not if they only load "player" resources. If you share things like the DMG or Volo's etc, then it can overload them, but when you mark things for sharing, just make sure that you only mark items labelled as player versions.

The characters are saved both GM and player side, but they can only directly be modified when the player is connected to your campaign. To modify it on the player side when not connected to you they will need to go into Manage Characters, enter your campaign cache, export it, exit your campaign cache, import it and modify it and then export it and send it to you. This is all necessary so that only the "master" version of a file is changed, which is your campaign version/data.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Greetings,

I had a very similar question from the OP and appreciate the answers. I have a follow up question:
    1. How do you know if a Player's Character is legit? Do you simply have to look it over before playing?
    2. Can a player change anything that is on their sheet (stats, equipment, etc..) without the DM adding it?

Any feedback is welcome.
    Cheers!
    - Faith, Steel and Gunpowder.

Quote Originally Posted by Omalus View Post
    I had a very similar question from the OP and appreciate the answers. I have a follow up question:
    1. How do you know if a Player's Character is legit? Do you simply have to look it over before playing?
    2. Can a player change anything that is on their sheet (stats, equipment, etc..) without the DM adding it?
    It's the same as in a face-to-face game - players control their character sheet. The GM has access to do a manual review and make changes if needs be, but the players have free range to edit their character - just like they would in a face-to-face game. But it's probably easier for the GM to review in FG - as they don't have to content with bad handwriting!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Great, thanks!
    - Faith, Steel and Gunpowder.

Thread Information