FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Linux Beta Schedule

Dear dev-team,

I know there was a thread around here, asking for the release of the Mac OS version. Also the latest Kickstarter update [No. 25] mentioned that the Mac version is going through internal testing right now.

As the Mac version was supposed to pave the way for the Linux release I was wondering if there is already a (preliminary) roadmap for it? What are the odds that I can do some test and preparations for my next campaign over the Christmas vacations?

Thanks and best regards,

exo

Nothing to announce on Linux client yet. Most likely, any Linux beta testing will be much closer to release timeframe.

JPG

Blog Entries
    ah shucks! :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Nothing to announce on Linux client yet. Most likely, any Linux beta testing will be much closer to release timeframe.

JPG
    As there have been considerations to release FGU even before Christmas and the demo client for connection to Ultimate has just been released I feel that we are slowly getting close to "release timeframe". Any news by now?

Realistically I don't expect a linux beta until some time after the release.

Giving the experience with the Mac beta, and considering that sheer varieties of linux that they will hit outside steam, linux beta will need a lot of work. It doesn't seen reasonable to delay Windows and Mac versions to address linux problems. After release it seems quite likely that added exposure will surface more bugs. "Stabilization" work for the release version should take priority.

If I were in their position, I will only start to work on linux after that stabilization phase.

So it's probably time for us to start testinf FGU with wine and hope for the best.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by javierrivera View Post
    until some time after the release
    Gads! I sure hope "some time after" means a couple hours!

One would hope that by using platform agnostic development tools like Unity, one would and could avoid platform dependent coding. Apparently from the mac beta testing that's happening, such a hope has born false. -shrug-
    Whoa is me, because i've removed myself from the world of windows and fly solely on LX :'(

My prelim attempts with FGU and wine have been failures. That's on Linuxmint18.3 with wine-staging 4.13. I've not had opportunity to try on Linuxmint19.3 and wine-staging 5.0.

Quote Originally Posted by skj310 View Post
    Gads! I sure hope "some time after" means a couple hours!
    Moon Wizard is the lead developer for FGU, and has already responded in this thread to say "Linux beta testing will be much closer to release timeframe". The post speculating "some time after the release" isn't based on any source at all.

Quote Originally Posted by skj310 View Post
    One would hope that by using platform agnostic development tools like Unity, one would and could avoid platform dependent coding. Apparently from the mac beta testing that's happening, such a hope has born false.
    I'm not sure why you say that. I've ready pretty much every report to come in since before the OSX build went out, and I'm not seeing any OSX-only bugs in core functionality. I've seen installer issues and keybinding issues... but those are expected to be platform specific. Any bugs I've seen reported for functionality within FG itself on OSX have ALSO been reported for Windows.

My own speculation on the linux build situation is simply that bugs are already coming in faster than they can be fixed on Windows and as of the last week or two OSX. There's no bandwidth to work on Linux bugs yet, and so no point in spending dev time on creating a Linux build and collecting bug reports they don't have time to look at... most of which will get fixed as a side effect of work on the cross-platform code anyway. So they're waiting until the cross-platform code is tightened up... at which point they'll ship a linux build that will let them focus on sorting out platform-specific bugs.

I can get it to start, update and run under Wine after installing Microsoft Fonts (inside wine).

It has horrible performance, specially when throwing dice or scrolling. I have been unable to move or resize windows. Everything else that I tested seems to work well.

I got the fonts in www.w7df.com and extract at c:\window\fonts

To get a better perfomance, I change the wine to run in virtual desktop (option Emulate a virtual desktop at Graphics)

Thread Information