FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 5 of 8 First ... 34567 ... Last
    Just a small addendum to what Trenloe is saying above.

What he says is absolutely correct but currently there is a kink whereby any characters created in someone else's campaign are not showing up in the import character window. The only characters which show up are those created by the player in one of their own campaigns. This is a known issue and is being looked at (at least as far as I know it is still not a fixed issue). The only workaround then would be for the DM to export the characters from their campaign and send the file to the players who can then import into another campaign.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks for the info Zacchaeus, I wasn't aware of that.

@matjam and @Elf_Boy - sorry for the misleading information. Hopefully this will be fixed soon...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It's not just any characters created in someone else's campaign. It's any character imported into a remote campaign that you join.

I made a video to clearly demonstrate the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlh8aMYAMSA

Once a character is loaded into a remote campaign, any changes to that character cannot be retrieved without the DM exporting the XML and sending it.
    Last edited by matjam; August 6th, 2020 at 21:41.

Quote Originally Posted by matjam View Post
    It's not just any characters created in someone else's campaign. It's any character imported.

I made a video to clearly demonstrate the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlh8aMYAMSA

Once a character is loaded into a remote campaign, any changes to that character cannot be retrieved without the DM exporting the XML and sending it.
    yeah, that is normal that changes in other campaigns are not applied to the local file of your character in any other campaign (like the creation campaign). Basically, a character is saved campaign-wise (roughly) (not speaking about the xml files which you can save separately anywhere). Importing it into another one's campaign is basically making a copy of that character, so, it counts as new character there. And since it is a character in another person's campaign, the bug mentioned by Zacchaeus applies (when this bug gets fixed, you need to reimport that character as player in your "manage character campaign". When you apply any changes, then you need to reimport it later into the play campaign and so on)

EDIT: So, that character file is not "global" over all campaigns. I hope it is clear what I mean
    Last edited by Kelrugem; August 6th, 2020 at 21:47.

Yeah, what I'm saying is when you hit "import" it should also consider all characters you have available in cached campaigns as candidates for being imported.

That would solve 99% of people's problems. They could just keep importing each time and just would need to occasionally clean things up from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by matjam View Post
    Yeah, what I'm saying is when you hit "import" it should also consider all characters you have available in cached campaigns as candidates for being imported.

That would solve 99% of people's problems. They could just keep importing each time and just would need to occasionally clean things up from time to time.
    As far as I know that is the target but not currently working (that is what Zacchaeus said) So, we need to wait, but it will be treated and should then work as you want it to be

Something that would be really awesome, as an added feature, would be if the GM could allow offline changes to auto import back to the campaign.

It can be annoying I can only really work on my characters when I need to be paying attention to what everyone is doing and saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf_Boy View Post
    Something that would be really awesome, as an added feature, would be if the GM could allow offline changes to auto import back to the campaign.
    Auto import, no. But you can import your modified character and start using that. I do this all the time in adventures I play in - import character, select it, play! The old PC can remain in the Character Selection screen (allowing the GM some reference to compare and see what the new PC changes are) or the GM can delete it from the campaign completely.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

On the subject of the 'Manage Characters' function, this was something that I personally won't miss, but I know a few of my players liked for quickly wanting to reference something on their character. Lot of my players come from Roll20, and Roll20 allows anyone to edit/view their character without input from the GM. While FG's classic MC function only allowed read-only, it is going to be something a couple of my players will likely miss but can easily live without.

Shame regardless.

The functionality in FGU (when the current wrinkle is ironed out) will give similar functionality that manage characters did, with an easier to use process. Players won't be worse off than they are now.

Thread Information