STAR TREK 2d20

Unable to Join a game

Hi, I've been reading threads here and wracking my brain, but I've come up short so I decided to post about my connectivity problem.

My brother and I are testing out using Fantasy Grounds. When I'm local to him (on the same LAN) and use the internal IP address, all is good. However, when I'm remote, either using the IP address or the server alias, I cannot connect to the game he is hosting. I've set up port forwarding for 1802 on his hardware firewall and allowed 1802 on his Windows software firewall (we're both Win 10 users). One thing that seems particularly weird to me is that when I test using https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and his IP address on 1802, I get a "Port 1802 is open" (and when he runs https://canyouseeme.org/ and plugs in 1802 it comes back as successful) but when I try a ping test using https://ping-test.org/ on 1802 I get 100% packet loss.

If he runs the connection test in the campaign he is hosting, it comes back as successful. I've checked the console.log file on my client and it is pointing to his correct external IP address. I've had him run a tracert and I don't see an additional local device on his end (beyond the hardware firewall that we already added the port forwarding rule).

If I host a game, he can connect to me.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I can't think what that is! Thanks in advance for any help/advice/recommendations.

Blog Entries
    Hey YogScott18

Can you connect to any one elses game?
    Can anyone else connect to your brother?
    ping-test.org does not as far as I can see, test tcp 1802, and a ping test is pretty much irrelevant as it simply testing an icmp response.

Is your brother on AT&T ISP? Many have reported their most recent router updates have broken connectivity with the only option being a VPN. Also, I presume he has verified that his network is set to private? Double-check, as it can get reset.

My brother is not on AT&T (he's on Comcast/Xfinity, as am I). I'm his tester so we haven't tried with anyone else yet, though I'll try to arrange that. I did change him from public to private as part of my troubleshooting (forgot to mention that).

I saw someone else on a different thread reference ping-test.org, so that's the only reason I mention it. But its not dispositive one way or the other, just figured I'd mention it since its result conflicted with the other sights positive result.

I'll try to arrange a test with a third party connecting to his host. Thanks!

Both try running this and see if one of you has been migrated to IPv6:

https://test-ipv6-vm4.comcast.net/
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Here are my results from the IPv6 test; I will follow up with my brother's as well once I get them back from him:

Capture.JPG

And now it is working! I don't know what changed but as long as it is working I don't care

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yogscott View Post
    And now it is working! I don't know what changed but as long as it is working I don't care
    Somewhere, someone rolled a 20...

If this problem recurs and your brother is using a netgear or comcast (netgear) router, try turning on Unicast on the router. It looks like you are showing a public IP6 address, so you are possibly being routed over IP6 to your brother's IP4-only setup. If that happens, you will not be able to ping or connect, even though he thinks everything is working.

Thread Information