FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    Others still have to set it up on their computers, which can be an obstacle.
    Not true with PureVPN. I use it when I travel and my players never know when I use it or I dont. And they dont have anything installed. They just always use my alias and that connects regardless of what my external IP is.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Do you have a reference for that? I'm not aware of character sheet printing being committed functionality of FG Unity, but I may have missed it...
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Printer-for-FG

If we like this general approach, then we can look to include this functionality as a built-in component to Fantasy Grounds once we complete the move to Unity.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately there are no printing options for Pathfinder 1 or 2 with the Print Utility. None of my players ever even looked at FG and we usually don't sport a full complement of laptops at the table. So printing would have been useful and I was not prepared for it not being an option, so will have to wrap my head around that.
    Is there anything specific that led you to believe that printing character sheets would be officially supported? If Smiteworks is giving an incorrect impression, I feel sure they would want to correct the verbiage in question.

Edit; OK I see the link. Well Doug said they could look at it after moving to Unity, not as part of the initial feature package. So, maybe down the line aways it will be there.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

No, I just automatically assumed that a program that allows to build RPG characters would also allow to print them out. It did not cross my mind that this would not be possible. A quick web search revealed that Roll20 seems to suffer from the same drawback for years already.

Blog Entries
    Well, I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps there isn't anything.

As someone who has gamed on-line since about 2001, give or take, it strikes me that if FG, roll20 and Hero Lab all don't offer something, then there might be a really good reason. Perhaps it's been judged to be too much work for the benefit it would provide? Perhaps the contracts are such that they need the IP holder to sign off on anything that makes physical copies of their digital content?

FG is a great program. That doesn't mean it meets everyone's needs though. Only you can decide whether you can get what you need/want out of it for yourself - a change in perspective/approach might help but again, only you can decide that.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

That's a very vague statement from 4 years ago. I most certainly wouldn't take that as any sort of commitment that FG Unity will have character sheet printing. It's not a case that FG Unity will "solve" this issue - it still needs to be coded and implemented, just like it would have to be coded and implemented in FG Classic. FG Unity doesn't suddenly give us character sheet printing automatically!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

No, I just automatically assumed that a program that allows to build RPG characters would also allow to print them out. It did not cross my mind that this would not be possible. A quick web search revealed that Roll20 seems to suffer from the same drawback for years already.
    Fantasy Grounds is a Virtual Table Top that allows you to play RPG games with other people over the Internet. It facilitates that through providing in application representations of character sheets, NPC statblocks, etc.. It is not designed to be a general RPG character creator, nor is it designed for face-to-face play (although many people do use it for that). Implementing character sheet printing is a large undertaking - with data differences for each ruleset meaning that there will have to be multiple code bases (even if just a XSL file) for each - so it's not something simple. Maybe it'll come in the future, maybe it won't - it definitely hasn't been committed.

I think part of the idea behind the post from 4 years ago that you link was that it was hoped the community would develop the XSL for different RPG systems. However, that never happened - probably for two main reasons: 1) It's a nice to have for most people, but not a must have (for most people). 2) It's fairly complex to put together a XSL sheet that covers all of the data that FG stores in a PC sheet.

Like I've said, and JohnD said above, Fantasy Grounds is a Virtual Table Top - with functionality aimed at that gaming environment (virtual table top). When using Fantasy Grounds try not to bring assumptions and preconceptions with you from other RPG related applications.
    Last edited by Trenloe; December 4th, 2019 at 10:09.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Like I wrote, it was my assumption and expectation that some sort of print functionality would "just be there", which is mostly my own fault then. Too bad that it is not and that it also is not strictly planed for Unity, but that's the way it is even if it means double the work for us physical table users.

That beind said, the demand seems to be there in the VTT community. Character printing is one of the most viewed and discussed feature requests for 5 years on the Roll20 suggestions forum, so it's not like I am the only one wishing for it to be possible. There seems to be less frequent demand on the FG forums, though, so I accept that limitation until I see what the (hopefully soon) coming Hero Lab Online tactical console feature will bring to the table (pun intended).

Not knowing what Unity will bring (very soonish) while shelving out money for the older version is quite a dilemma for use new users that missed the Kickstarter but need some sort of (half)working solution.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; December 4th, 2019 at 10:17.

I'd suggest PCGen, but we're still working on the PF 2e data.

Using an external tool like PCGen still means to enter the same data twice. I am currently trying around with doing screenshots of FG's character window, but it's rather fiddly and ugly. Later I will look into the FG print tool again to see if I can hack together my own PF2 sheet out of the conversion process.

Knowing now that printing does not seem to be planed as a soon to come feature to Unity makes it more worthwhile to invest the time and effort into this. Again new users starting in between Classic and Unity are somewhat at a disadvantage, because they pay for an "old" system with the new implementation being just around the corner. This is why I would have preferred a discounted pre-sale of Unity instead.

Thread Information