DICE PACKS BUNDLE

chosing free ability boost for your background

Hi Trenloe

I have created a halfling fighter with an acrobatic background and I was unable to pick strength twice. If I understand the rules correctly I should be able to pick strength twice. once the choice between str and dex and one free choice. (p25 of the CRB).

I suspect this was programmed this way in order to make sure that a character can not boost his stats beyond 18. However if you do something as described above then it is not possible to go beyond stat 18 due to the ancestry flaw.

Can someone confirm that my interpretation is correct? At this moment we fixed this by increasing my strength by two and leaving the background boost blank.

Page 20 of the Core Rules (emphasis mine): "When your character receives an ability boost, the rules indicate whether it must be applied to a specific ability score or to one of two specific ability scores, or whether it is a “free” ability boost that can be applied to any ability score of your choice. However, when you gain multiple ability boosts at the same time, you must apply each one to a different score. Dwarves, for example, receive an ability boost to their Constitution score and their Wisdom score, as well as one free ability boost, which can be applied to any score other than Constitution or Wisdom."
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 28th, 2021 at 15:30.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Correct! Thanks for the correction!

Thread Information