DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

/reloadext, a /reload console command option for only reloading extensions.

Working on some extension code for FGU I'm aware that the /reload console command is disabled during the beta.

I was wondering however if when you add the /reload back in if you could do one that only reloads extensions, to work similarly to unloading and reloading modules but do the extensions instead. '/reloadext' maybe?

Currently the way things are set up, developing in lua for FG is terribly slow. No way to step through code, relying on typing out Debug.chat or similar code to see what's happening in the variables. Each minor test or modification costs 1-2 minutes of shutting things down, starting up FG, loading a campaign, waiting for it to load, opening up the correct interface section to test, etc. Even with the /reload command enabled it's similarly a long process for each test. You get the idea.

Would it be possible to implement a /reloadext console command for us developers. As I imagine the extensions get loaded on top of everything at the end, being able to reload only them and their functionality would drastically improve the development speed and experience.
    Extension writer, FGU Backer, Ultimate License holder.

5E Enhancer (development and support on hold for now)

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

I would imagine that's a lot of code to re-write to allow that - and maybe not giving much of an improvement in load time as FG basically overwrites the underlying ruleset code with extension code, so it would be difficult (and costly in resources maybe) to keep the original ruleset code in memory in case of the 0.01% of users who might use this functionality.

Best thing to do is make sure your installation is not loading things you don't need - don't have any tokens in your <FG app data>\tokens directory, don't have any tokens modules loaded, and only load extensions and modules you *really* need for developing. That should speed up the /reload process. I have my PFRPG2 development setup pretty lean and a /reload takes 12 seconds for me.
    Last edited by Trenloe; November 26th, 2019 at 16:59.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I'm running with a separate dedicated near empty FGU data folder, that's set up to be as lean as possible. A 12 second reboot is great, an empty reload for myself takes about 60 seconds flat.

Sounds like the problem is my computer then if I'm in the minority with those dev side load times.
    Dual core i5 3.3 ghz, regular non-SSD 5400 RPM HD.

Thanks for the suggestions though, might make the difference for someone else reading this.
    Last edited by StoryWeaver; November 26th, 2019 at 17:34.
    Extension writer, FGU Backer, Ultimate License holder.

5E Enhancer (development and support on hold for now)

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

Blog Entries
    Or wait until they do more performance tuning.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Any update on this request? I too would find this useful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jemmettdm View Post
    Any update on this request? I too would find this useful.
    /reload has been reimplemented. No further discussion I'm aware of on /reloadext. It could be added to the wish list if desired.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Sorry, I was referring to /reloadext. Use this link to add to the wish list? https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Blog Entries
    Yes, that is the correct link for the wish list.

I responded on the wish list as well. Unfortunately, extensions can not be reloaded independent of rulesets; because they literally replace pieces of the ruleset while being loaded. Therefore, the ruleset has to be reloaded to set the default state before extensions are applied.

Regards,
    JPG

That makes sense. I was searching the forums for a solution to my problem and this seemed to fit the bill plus help others too.

Right now, the extensionstate.xml looks to be overwritten when FGU is closed or /reload is used. Would moving the code for that save to after load of the extensions/ruleset or a slash command/API for reload without saving be a better request?

Thread Information