5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 10 First 1234 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Given the following two facts;
    1) No UI/UX will please everyone, and in general no single approach will generally be perfect for any given majority of users.
    2) The existing UI/UX is indeed appreciated and desired by a large group of existing users

I doubt the core rulesets will ever use a substantially different interface until our human-computer interface changes from a mainly keyboard-mouse one.

In the mean time, their is a lot someone can do with a community extension, and can even write their own rulesets that have generally any UI/UX they desire (with some limitations since not everything is accessible via the API).

Not intending to discourage anyone who wishes for a different UI/UX, just hoping to make clear some of the extent of the issue.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

As an example there's this extension which does something which is apparently a thing in other UI's https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...your-FG-client
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Not sure if I should post this here or under a new topic, but I had previously created my own background and decal for my campaign and these aren't showing under Unity. How do I go about recreating them in Unity?
    myfg.png

Quote Originally Posted by rkohli View Post
    Not sure if I should post this here or under a new topic, but I had previously created my own background and decal for my campaign and these aren't showing under Unity. How do I go about recreating them in Unity?
    Did you copy over your extension from Classic?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I like the UI. The right click and radial icon content menu is fine with me. It saves me having to go to the top of the screen a lot as per windows standard interfaces. A lot less moving of the mouse back and forth. The radial icons are in place and with a few quick movements of the mouse, I've selected the option I want.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Did you copy over your extension from Classic?
    I made that stuff a while ago and can't quite recall how I did it. I hoped that copying over the campaign folder would be enough, but maybe I need some additional steps? I'll revisit it later today when I have a little time.
    Last edited by rkohli; March 28th, 2020 at 11:18.

Quote Originally Posted by rkohli View Post
    I made that stuff a while ago and can't quite recall how I did it. I hoped that copying over the campaign folder would be enough, but maybe I need some additional steps? I'll revisit it later today when I have a little time.
    A background and/or a decal will have been created as an extension - you won't find it in your campaign. So check your extensions folder and copy the file for your background or decal into the extensions folder in Unity and make sure you select it in the campaign start screen. Absolutely no telling if it will work in Unity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleak Midwinter View Post
    I've just installed the Unity version and I have to say ... I'm disappointed to see the UI is so similar to the previous version. This seems like an opportunity for a clean UI with less space taken up with unnecessary decals, textures and so on. For example, in the Setup screen the buttons appear to have left/right arrows (indicating you can cycle forwards or backwards on things like the background decal) but they don't work as arrows at all.

What are our chances of getting a simple text-based UI with lists that come out, similar to that used on a website? By all means leave the graphically fancy option, but I'd like an easier-to-read interface for my hard-of-sight player.
    As already has been mentioned, the UI is mainly determined by the extension you are using. It is truth that Smite has never payed too much attention to the visual design of the different rulesets extensions. They are mainly ugly... and mostly functional.

But with Unity coming, some new extensions shows that the framework is able to create really beauty UIs. For example, the one of Vampire 5th; IMHO this extension is really cool, and the only difference is that a guy has created new cool images and tokens to look like the following:

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a good example of people liking different things - I much prefer the icons used in the wotc theme to the "cool images" used in v5

There's really nothing different between the FG Classic and the FG Unity UI graphical capabilities, a theme will look the same in both.

Themes take a lot of work and require different skills to those needed to create rulesets. As @The High Druid says, a lot of this is down to personal preference. I've seen in the past many hours spent giving a ruleset a specific look and feel and some people liked it and some people hated it (Rolemaster Classic, Call of Cthulhu 6e, etc.). Hence why a lot of FG devs don't invest much more time on the graphical look - after they've spent hundreds of hours just getting the code working. They'll leave this to others to make themes that they like - and this is done via FG extensions, with the process being the same for FG Classic or Unity.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information