Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Fantasy Grounds Classic doesn't support IPv6, only IPv4.

There's been a few posts over the last couple of months where ISPs are rolling out IPv6 changes without informing their customers. Do a search for "comcast ipv6" from the site search link at the top of this page.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks - hadn't seen those posts. My hope would be that a newer router would do the right thing and dual-stack to translate to/from IPv6 on my IPv4 host. However, my current router doesn't handle IPv6 at all. So, the IPv6 traffic will be rejected and it probably has nothing to do with FG. The traffic never gets there because it is rejected at the router. Anyway, the point is that in the OP's problem, it is entirely possible there is an IPv6 gremlin at work, as is likely the case for me and my friend. I need to get a new router anyway, so I will do some experiments. I have kept my 15+-year-old WRT54G running, but it needs to retire. Maybe my friend still has IPv4 access. That would be the easiest solution. However, with IPv6, he is connecting to another friend's FG setup, so there must be some dual-stacking going on somewhere.

For the benefit of anyone that may have an IPv6 issue, I did some more experiments with my IPv6 friend who couldn't connect to my IPv4 server.

I was able to get the FG connection working by doing the following:

1. I removed the IPv4-only wireless router from the equation (which was definitely blocking his traffic)
    2. I connected directly to my primary Comcast IPv4/IPv6 router (which is actually a Netgear OEM)
    3. On the router, I tried various options and the one that solved the problem was checking "Enable Unicast" under the LAN:IPv6 Setup tab. I also enabled the IPv6 firewall. The router had to reset itself after applying that change.
    4. I am still running IPv4 DHCP on the LAN side (10.x.x.x) and my public address is still IPv4.
    5. Windows thinks my home network (now changed from "Network 4" to "Network 6") has disconnected IPv6 functionality (which is probably true now that I am dual-stacking with Unicast on the router but not actually using IPv6...but I guess it also shows disconnected IPv6 on IPv4 networks. So...maybe hard to tell, except that it changed the Network name to Network 6, even though still IPv4).
    6. After doing these things, my IPv6 friend was able to finally ping my IPv4 address successfully from a DOS window and can connect to my IPv4 FG server without any issues.

In all cases, my local FG test always showed SUCCESS.

edit: Interestingly, however, after making this change, canyouseeme.org:1802 no longer works. I'd have to do some more poking around to figure out why. I may need to set up additional forwarding or other firewall rule. I set up the standard 1802 port forward on the router, but something is blocking the non-FG client access. --> I need to recheck this the next time we connect. As in the PS below, I may have quit FG.

Anyway, turning on Unicast to dual-stack/tunnel seems to have solved the IPv6->IPv4 conversion issue. So, if the thread-starter has an IPv6 conflict, it looks like there might be a dual-stacking solution that does not involve trying to make FG Classic host games on an IPv6 host (which I guess doesn't work per Trenloe). The above will depend on whatever support the router provides...but Netgear is a common solution, both in the consumer and OEM business spaces.

Good luck! GAME ON!

ps. Oh...and when I want to host a game for him, I just hotwire to the Comcast router, and when I want to use wireless, I'm back to the IPv4 WRT54G.
    pps. The problem with canyouseeme.org was probably that I had quit FG when I did the subsequent test. Seems OK now.
    Last edited by HoloGnome; November 28th, 2019 at 17:37.

Great detective work, Holognome. This last portion needs to be preserved in some sticky thread.

My friend reconnected again last night. Most of our last session on 11/27 above was just debug to figure out HOW to connect, if at all possible.

Also, after setting "Unicast" on the router, I didn't want to reset my FG alias (and figured it wouldn't work, since the IP changed...and it didn't work last night). So, in my example above, I should emphasize that we used direct IP4 address to connect (which is him on FG and IP6 entering my IP4 address in FG to get to my server). But, it worked fine again for us last night and we could actually play.

So Hemachi worked, all nice and easy like. Thanks for the help damned!

Help!
    DM - cable to router
    DM player screen - cable to router
    P1 - on mac connected wifi (same router)
    P2 - windows connected wifi (same router)
    P3 - windows connected wifi (same router)

DM logs on, success full test. DM player screen connects successfully. P1 connected successfully. P2 and P3 cant connect to host. P1 logs off; P2 can log on successfully but P1 cant connect now... WHY!?

Blog Entries
    Welcome KennyKatAtak

If you are all on the same network have them all connect to the LAN address not the Alias or WAN address.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyKatAtak View Post
    Can you be more specific plz?
    On the campaign launch screen FG shows the GM two IP addresses, one external and one internal. Players on the same network (router) should use the internal address.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information