STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

LOS Terrain Options Request: Pits, Holes, Depressions, Floor Traps, Pool and the like

After working on several maps practicing my map making technique, I came across a scenario where I had a pit in a particular corridor. My objective was to hide the pit to entice a PC to go look in it and once near it they would be able to see down in to it, revealing what lies beneath. After attempting a number of ways to simulate this I have come to the conclusion that there is no workable solution within Fantasy Grounds Unity. At least there is not one that I was able to discover. So what I would like to inquire/request is an alternative terrain option, or combination of options, that would do the following:

1. Terrain option to wear you are unable to see down in to a hole/depression/pit or the like.
    2. Allow LOS to go through this to the other side as terrain that goes below the ground would not block line of sight.
    3. When a character descends, gets submerged or the like, to have an option to block the line of sight going out of said hole/depression/pit.

I am not sure if there is a workaround for this or if this is possible to code in to the system. I have searched multiple times for this and my apologies if this has been addressed before.

Thank you everyone for any assistance.
    M
    Last edited by Gomischm; November 15th, 2019 at 19:36.

Blog Entries
    They are good suggestions. At this stage I think its unlikely they will add too much functionality before release so you might want to repost in the future if it doesnt get any attention this time around.

Thank you for the reply. I wasn’t sure if this would get any attention or not. I almost wondered if they could code a reverse or say an inverse of the terrain LOS selection tool. I imagine that would do the trick. I am ignorant of what it takes to do this and love this program. Just wanted to give my Beta 2 cents. Thank you again.
    M

Blog Entries
    Great idea. I would suggest you add it to the wishlist with a link back to this thread, and a link from this thread to the idea so people (like me) can vote for it.
    https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you for the suggestion. I’ve done this and hopefully I did it right. I seldom suggest anything as I assume it’s either in the works or been tested. But an inverted terrain option could be handy. Thanks again and appreciate the feedback.
    M

Blog Entries

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I will add my two cents to that. Something like a wall without fog of war for hills and the like. They can see there is a hill there, but it blocks LOS on tokens on the other side of the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by iemckinnon View Post
    I will add my two cents to that. Something like a wall without fog of war for hills and the like. They can see there is a hill there, but it blocks LOS on tokens on the other side of the hill.
    A hill is already possible with the terrain options Moreover, when you add the lines of terrain similar to lines of constant height as on maps then you get some nice 3D effect (while climbing the hill they do not see immediately everything but more and more until they reach the top to see "everything")

Quote Originally Posted by iemckinnon View Post
    Watch the videos on LOS linked to this post to see how to do this.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you everyone for the help. I appreciate it. I believe a terrain inversion option, similar to opening and closing doors would be an ideal solution. Again I am not a coder, but since the code exists for terrain, it should be possible to invert this for holes, pits and the like where you should be able to see past it, but not in it. I hope this idea continues to gain traction.

Thread Information