5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Character Ownership Issues

Not saying this is connected to the last patch, but it only happened after the last patch.

EDIT: Starfinder Game System (Core Rules, Aeon Throne Module 1)

This my be difficult to explain so a chart to help:

Player - Character
    A - 1
    B - 2
    C - 3

My players logged in to game. Players B & C could not see their characters.

As GM, I look and see they all "appear" OK, and are assigned. They log out and back in, we confirm they have the latest patch, etc.
    Eventually I release B & C from 2 & 3

Now they see the characters. Player B takes control of 2, Player C reports that their character vanished, as does Player A now.

As GM, I go look and see that Player B is now in control of 1,2 and 3. I release Character 1 & 3 instead it releases Character 2. /scratch head

Player B logs out, I am able to release Character 1 & 3.

Player A takes control of Character 1, Player C reports all characters gone again. Sure enough, now A has 1, 2 and 3.

Player A logs out, I release all characters.

All players log in, and as a test player B makes a new character 4. They can now see, release, re-add this character without issue.

NO Player has control of 1, 2 or 3 at this point, B has control of Character 4 only. They go to delete Character 4.... and ALL characters vanish.

We spent 30 min looking for any way to restore them, but it seems they are gone.

So... do we make new characters, if so is it safe?

What happened??

1) Release control for all characters
    2) Update to v1.2.3a, which contains the hotfix for this issue
    3) Log back in, players should be able to select their characters correctly.
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by deer_buster View Post
    1) Release control for all characters
    2) Update to v1.2.3a, which contains the hotfix for this issue
    3) Log back in, players should be able to select their characters correctly.
    OK, I'll look when home. When we played on Wed Nov 13, we had all known patches installed, I assume this came out after?
    Also, are characters still gone, do we need to remake?

Check your campaign folder. You should be able to see backups of your campaign. Try renaming the most recent ones, in chronological order, until you find one that isn't missing your characters. It should be fairly recent and your characters should still be there.
    aka Laendra

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by soulkeeper View Post
    OK, I'll look when home. When we played on Wed Nov 13, we had all known patches installed, I assume this came out after?
    Yep. When you are experiencing an issue, make sure to check the Starfinder forum, as we check that frequently on update day and respond best there.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-version-1-2-3 as an example
    aka Laendra

Forgive me I'm new at this...

2019-11-15_0937.png

This is what I see in my folder, I'm assuming the sessions files are backups? If so, what do you do with them to re-enable?

Yep. When you are experiencing an issue, make sure to check the Starfinder forum, as we check that frequently on update day and respond best there.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-version-1-2-3 as an example
    I promise I will in the future!!

That's an invalid attachment, so I can't see it. But in general, you will see db.session.[somenumber].xml with a date modified showing when it was renamed. Rename your current db.xml to db.xml.bak and then rename your chosen db.session.[somenumber].xml to db.xml and startup fantasy grounds and load up your campaign
    aka Laendra

That's an invalid attachment, so I can't see it.
    It needed moderator approval (it would have shown "awaiting approval"). You should be able to see the attachment now.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information