DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Lost Campaign Data

I was logging into my campaign and I got some errors. "db.xml file is missing" is what I think they were. All my campaign data had changed to a really early session. I tried some fixes from the forums. Copied all my db.xml and changed several sessions from a couple days ago to db.xml. Every time it would go back to the really early session. I then deleted all the db.xml and it would still load to that really early session. I have attached the file from a couple days ago.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries
    After you exited FG, and copied all your db files to somewhere safe, did you rename the latest db.session file to db.xml and then restart FG? Do you have your folder options set to hide file extensions and therefore you didn't really rename the file to db.xml?

Is your FG Data folder in a cloud drive or automatically backed up? If so, how?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hi Guide175 welcome to FG and sorry to hear your tale of woe.

Your file seems to contain all the data from a campaign but I can't tell what the date is and whether this contains your most recent data or not.

As LE says aboave make sure that when you view the campaign files that you are seeing the file extensions such as .xml or .lua or .html. If you do not se those then go into the view menu at the top of the folder window and check the box next to 'File Name Extensions'.

Once you have done that you may well see that some of your files now have a double extension such as db.xml.xml and if you do then that is part of your problem.

You should be able to sort that by deleting the extraneous extensions.

If that doesn't help can you post a screenshot of your campaign folder as a first step.

Also you will find me on the Discord support channel where we can step through the process of restoring your campaign if possible. Just ping my name to get my attention.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I can see the file extensions. No I am not using a cloud server or any kind of backup. Yes I did change one of my older session to db.xml.

The db file I attached is from 11/10/2019.

I am going to attach a screen shot of my campaign folder after I have deleted all db's and then added one back as db.xml. I loaded game and then exited. My player's characters came back(no portraits). Campaign additions that I had made are still missing(token changes, added maps to the story, wording in the story).

I can work with this, unless you think it is worth the risk to debug some more. I was really sad that the PC's disappeared

Campaign After Delete.JPG

Blog Entries
    The players should have copies of their characters in their local caches if needed. Before they join your game again, have them go into Manage Characters, access your campaign, then export the characters.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

From your screenshot it looks like you only have one session file which dates to the day before the db file was last created. Have you deleted all of those session files or did you just have the first session of your campaign 2 days ago?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

That shot is after I deleted all the old session and copied a session from 11/10/2019

I will add before the delete screen shots.

Campaign1.JPG

Campaign2.JPG

Blog Entries
    Deleting the old session files is deleting your backups...
    You should try and recover them from your recycle bin or via an undelete utility...

Do not rename backup files.
    Duplicate the specific file and rename it.

I shouldn't have used the word deleted. I cut and paste the db's to a new folder then copied and renamed back to the campaign folder.

You can see from the size of the session files that something happened around the early part of October (around the 10th or 11th). The session file size dropped from over 300Kb to under 50Kb. So it looks like the last meaningful session file that will contain the most data from your campaign will be around that date. Copy over the largest of the session files from around then and rename that one to db.xml

Thread Information