Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Table Output

Table Output

Sorry if this is the wrong section for this.

I've got a table that can help me generate random names for places so I can be prepared for whatever my party throws at me. It works as is but I wondered if I could make the output prettier. So for example right now it could roll up Tower of the Copper Gold.

The output is:
    Name Pt1 = 1
    Name Pt2 = of the
    Name Pt3 = 2
    Name Pt4 = 3
    {dice roll}
    Tower
    {dice roll}
    Copper
    {dice roll}
    Gold

Is there a way with tables - or some other function - to just get "Tower of the Copper Gold" as the output? (for this example)

Blog Entries
    Combined tables with Story Templates.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...tory_Templates

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I must be doing it wrong. If I link the table directly I get ; between each of the table columns, but I cant reference multiple tables in a single column I dont think?
    If I link story templates to a table it does nothing. I can get each of the options to work by referencing a table within the story template but I'm not sure how to select which of the 6 naming options to use.

Blog Entries
    You can't link a Story Template from a table, you link that table to fill in parts of the blank story. Also be aware that nested tables don't .work well because FG rolls dice for the tables and the result of roll 2 might be completed before roll 1 and hence things will show up in the wrong order.

Also check the wiki for notation. It is very specific. You have to get the brackets, spaces, etc all perfect or it won't work. I suggest you try to duplicate one of the samples, then try what you are trying, and post screen shots when you have problems. And as always, start simple, get simple work then slowly make it more complex.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

You need this video which explains exactly how you would do what you want and a whole lot more.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    You can't link a Story Template from a table, you link that table to fill in parts of the blank story. Also be aware that nested tables don't .work well because FG rolls dice for the tables and the result of roll 2 might be completed before roll 1 and hence things will show up in the wrong order.

Also check the wiki for notation. It is very specific. You have to get the brackets, spaces, etc all perfect or it won't work. I suggest you try to duplicate one of the samples, then try what you are trying, and post screen shots when you have problems. And as always, start simple, get simple work then slowly make it more complex.
    This is no longer the case that nested tables don't work. That was fixed in 3.3.7 or 3.3.8. Tabel rolls are now guaranteed to complete in the order calls.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    This is no longer the case that nested tables don't work. That was fixed in 3.3.7 or 3.3.8. Tabel rolls are now guaranteed to complete in the order calls.
    Good to know, thanks.

Ok, so another related question, is there a way to store a generate story button on the hotlinks at the bottom of the screen?

As it relates to my other question in case others search and find this, I changed my tables from being linked tables to using [] references for the tables to make it all fit on a single column of the table, then the story template could call the table and look properly formatted.
    Last edited by flekhabren; November 18th, 2019 at 04:13.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flekhabren View Post
    Ok, so another related question, is there a way to store a generate story button on the hotlinks at the bottom of the screen?
    *shrugs* Have you tried dragging it there?

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    *shrugs* Have you tried dragging it there?
    Yeah, no luck with that.

Thread Information