STAR TREK 2d20

Yet... port forwarding

Hello!

I've been using FG with no problems for about a year. This week, tho, the connection test starting failing with no apparent reason. My router is set with port forwarding, I'm sure I have the right static IP, my tracert seems fine and I have messed around with my firewall (Windows Defender) and my antivirus software (Kaspersky) with no success. I have been trying to solve the problem for days, but I really can't understand what has suddently gone wrong. The even weirder fact is that I had one connection success at 1 am a few nights ago, which I haven't been able to replicate.

I understand this sounds quite a quirky situation, but maybe somebody has an intuition that I'm missing. Thank you in advance.

Blog Entries
    Is your network connection set to private? Has your ISP switched you to IPv6?

Did you go through post 1 of this thread?
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ions-Explained

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hello!

Reading that post I realized I didn't post all the necessary info, so here you go:

1. Your LAN IP Address

192.168.0.2 (statically set both from the router and the network card, just to be sure)

2. The first two sets (octects) of your WAN IP as displayed by Fantasy Grounds and as displayed by your Router

2.125 (same on both FG and the router)

3. Whether you are using Wired or Wireless (and not both)

Wireless

4. Confirmation that you have set your Adapter in Network and Sharing Centre to Private

Yes

5. Confirmation of what AV you are running and whether you have set any exceptions

Kaspersky. I have set the exceptions.

6. Post the results of the tracert 8.8.8.8 command (if you have security concerns you can remove this bit once its been responded to)

(removed)

7. Confirmation as to what you have setup in your Router if changes have been made

I've set up inbound port forwarding for my static ip address and port 1802. This configuration has always remained the same and was working until last week.

I have checked the case reported in the first reply, but I don't meet the conditions for it.
    Now, to answer your questions...

Is your network connection set to private?
    Yes, double-checked.

Has your ISP switched you to IPv6?
    I'm not sure. I'm using Sky in the UK, but I've disabled IPv6 from both the router options and my network card options.
    Last edited by Nexos; November 11th, 2019 at 14:12.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I don't know how to delve into solving this, but with that info one of the network gurus will be along to figure it out.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Everything there looks ok.
    Reboot your router in case it is misbehaving.
    If still not working then please post a screenshot of your port forward settings.
    Do you have any other antivirus firewall?

I finally, and by pure chance, discovered what was causing the problem.

The server was not binding to my network adapter configured on the 192.168.0.* address space, but it was for some reason binding to a virtual network adapter used by my virtual machine software (which has always been there and hasn't been used in months), so it was listening onto 192.168.56.1. I noticed it because that address appeared on the UPNP list in the router configuration page.

Thank you for trying and helping me out. I'll leave this as a reference for anyone who should encounter a similar problem in the future

Blog Entries
    Nice - thanks for reporting. Fantasy Grounds will normally bind on all interfaces but it has been reported at least one time before that someone has had issues with bindings to virtual nics.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Nice - thanks for reporting. Fantasy Grounds will normally bind on all interfaces but it has been reported at least one time before that someone has had issues with bindings to virtual nics.
    Yeah, it will listen on port 1802 on all interfaces. The issue in this case appears to be that Router UPnP was overriding the port forwarding and using the local IP address detected by FG - which was that of the virtual NIC. This is usually controlled by the windows network adaptor order.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

If Windows or your Anti-Virus have recently updated..check both their firewalls. I had to simply turn off Net Guard on my McAfee and it seems to have fixed the issue

Thread Information