1. #1

    Fantasy Grounds New Player

    Soon to be new player of Fantasy Grounds here. Just had some questions if anyone can answer them.

    1. Is it worthwhile to pay for a lifetime membership now (ultimate or standard) with Fantasy Grounds Unity coming out so soon?

    2. How often do sales occur, any reason to believe one will happen soon?

    3. Does the base ultimate package have everything I need to play a game with my cousins? IE, if I buy ultimate can they get the demo and we play together without buying any rule books or the like?

    4. Any plans for an IPad or Android version?

    Thanks to anyone who answers!

  2. #2
    1. From what I have seen so far it might be worth doing a subscription based plan for the ultimate license until FGU comes out.

    2. Sales occur often I recommend signing up for the news letter they are announced in there.

    3. You will have access to players connecting to your game with the demo but you will still need to buy core rules and module content but you will be able to share them with your players. Also, once you buy the content you will have it for FGU. You could just use the SRD content and put the modules in yourself but being a new player it's best to just purchase the content imo.

    4. And that question is better left to someone who knows more about that. I would say that it is possible it might happen since FGU has those capabilities but they seem to be working more on things that will allow functionality within fgu and want to get things working that were talked about on the kickstarter page. Anything else is a bonus.

    Btw welcome to the forums! There are plenty of people who will answer your questions here. It's a very welcoming place. You can also search the forums and find answers to a lot of questions that usually have already been answered. Fantasy grounds is an amazing table top program that has tons of features and new content weekly with no let up. I use Discord to run my games in parallel with fantasy grounds. Not sure which communication program you use.
    Last edited by UltimateGM; November 9th, 2019 at 15:27.

  3. #3
    For your third question the ultimate package just means that any players don't have to buy a standard edition to play with you when you DM.

    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/home.php
    mentions some of the free rulesets you get with Fantasy grounds which includes:

    Rulesets
    2E, 3.5E, 4E, 5E, FATECore, PFRPG, PFRPG2, Numenera, SFRPG
    Data Libraries
    D&D 5e SRD , D&D 5e Basic Rules , D&D 3.5E SRD, FATECore, Pathfinder SRD libraries

    There is some free content available but realistically you (as you are the GM) will probably have to buy the complete 'base' rulesets for your preferred system so an addition $20-$80 depending.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest1395101 View Post
    Soon to be new player of Fantasy Grounds here. Just had some questions if anyone can answer them.

    1. Is it worthwhile to pay for a lifetime membership now (ultimate or standard) with Fantasy Grounds Unity coming out so soon?

    2. How often do sales occur, any reason to believe one will happen soon?

    3. Does the base ultimate package have everything I need to play a game with my cousins? IE, if I buy ultimate can they get the demo and we play together without buying any rule books or the like?

    4. Any plans for an IPad or Android version?

    Thanks to anyone who answers!
    Hi and welcome to FG!

    In regards to #3, if you're planning to play D&D 5E, this thread may be helpful:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...eed-to-play-5e

    Even if you're not planning to play 5E specifically, much of the info there will apply to whatever ruleset you're planning to use. I hope this helps!

  5. #5
    LordEntrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    GMT -7
    Posts
    8,253
    Blog Entries
    9
    Something is on sale every week. Licenses go o sale a few times a year.

    Let us know any questions.

    Current Projects: Ultimate Undermountain (NYDUM)
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets
    DMsGuild Content: Balance Disturbed (Adventure), Dungeon Room Descriptions
    FG Product Reviews: Virtual Scribe Reviews

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by UltimateGM View Post
    1. From what I have seen so far it might be worth doing a subscription based plan for the ultimate license until FGU comes out.

    2. Sales occur often I recommend signing up for the news letter they are announced in there.

    3. You will have access to players connecting to your game with the demo but you will still need to buy core rules and module content but you will be able to share them with your players. Also, once you buy the content you will have it for FGU. You could just use the SRD content and put the modules in yourself but being a new player it's best to just purchase the content imo.

    4. And that question is better left to someone who knows more about that. I would say that it is possible it might happen since FGU has those capabilities but they seem to be working more on things that will allow functionality within fgu and want to get things working that were talked about on the kickstarter page. Anything else is a bonus.

    Btw welcome to the forums! There are plenty of people who will answer your questions here. It's a very welcoming place. You can also search the forums and find answers to a lot of questions that usually have already been answered. Fantasy grounds is an amazing table top program that has tons of features and new content weekly with no let up. I use Discord to run my games in parallel with fantasy grounds. Not sure which communication program you use.
    Thanks!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by notrealdan View Post
    Hi and welcome to FG!

    In regards to #3, if you're planning to play D&D 5E, this thread may be helpful:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...eed-to-play-5e

    Even if you're not planning to play 5E specifically, much of the info there will apply to whatever ruleset you're planning to use. I hope this helps!
    Thanks for the link!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in