STAR TREK 2d20

Sudden Issues with Connections after Year+ playing with the same group

We have a group that plays every 2 weeks and has been doing so for more than a year. We host the game at our house and 5 people here join via laptops on our LAN, connecting via internal IP. 2 people join from other states, connecting via external IP.

Starting 3 weeks ago, the below started happening:

1. Anyone connected to our LAN is unable to connect to the FG Updater (if we connect via our Phone hotspots it works).
    2. The local players are unable to connect when the host is up and receive "Network error during host license check".
    3. The external players are unable to connect, but just receive a timeout error.

When any of the players try to connect (internal or external), the host sees the player connect and then immediately disconnect.

I've verified that the port was forwarded, I've tried placing the host computer in the DMZ, I've tried updating routers, computers, FG on every computer, etc etc etc

Did anything change in the last few weeks that could explain this?

The only way we've been able to get around this so far is by having every player (local and external) use their phone hotspots to connect, but this isn't a sustainable solution.
    Last edited by Zadira; November 5th, 2019 at 23:10.

Hopefully Comcast hasn't just decided to change you to IPv6. Check your status here: https://test-ipv6.comcast.net/
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Looks like we have IPV6 available now, but IPV4 is still showing as OK

Test with IPv4 DNS record
    ok (0.723s) using ipv4
    Test with IPv6 DNS record
    ok (0.416s) using ipv6
    Test with Dual Stack DNS record
    ok (0.407s) using ipv6
    Test for Dual Stack DNS and large packet
    ok (0.321s) using ipv6
    Test IPv4 without DNS
    skipped (0.215s)
    Test IPv6 without DNS
    skipped (0.201s)
    Test IPv6 large packet
    ok (1.072s) using ipv6
    Test if your ISP's DNS server uses IPv6
    ok (0.817s) using ipv6
    Find IPv4 Service Provider
    ok (0.714s) using ipv4 ASN 7922
    Find IPv6 Service Provider
    ok (0.393s) using ipv6 ASN 7922

Since it's affecting all players, it seems like something on your connection to the Internet (wireless access point, router, cable modem, etc.) has changed to block certain connections. You should log into each of the devices between you and the Internet to look at any security or internet filtering or parental control settings that might be enabled.

Regards,
    JPG

But unfortunately it looks like your Internet connection is defaulting to IPv6. Do you have access to your router to turn off IPv6 as a test?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I have access to the router, but not seeing any place to turn off IPV6.

Quote Originally Posted by Zadira View Post
    I have access to the router, but not seeing any place to turn off IPV6.
    Do an Internet search for your router make and model and enable (or disable) IPv6.

Everything I found in my searches says that you can't disable IPV6 on the latest Comcast/XFi routers.

I did, however, after troubleshooting for a few hours, find a hidden option in the XFi configuration page under "More -> My Services" to disable XFi Advanced Security.

After turning that off, everything seems to be working. Hope maybe this can help anyone else that Comcast has screwed over turning this on in the background!

Nice troubleshooting. Thanks for posting your resolution.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information