5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
    Blog Entries

Tokens Out of "Sync" on Map - since 10/28 FGC weekly update

One of my games is experiencing a strange issue of tokens and placements on a map being out of sync for the past 2 weeks. This started in our game the evening of 10/28 and continued again last night on 11/04.

This may be a lengthy description, but I'll try to do it justice and give as much detail as I can.

We are using the Castles and Crusades ruleset and are current with updates on FG. I am using the Live version, not Test. To be clear; I'm not blaming the weekly update, I'm just mentioning when this behavior started to show up in the game.

First, it starts with players attempting to move their tokens on the map, whether they be locked or not. The green "linked to CT" indicator is shown in the new location, but the token either remains in the original spot or moves say 1/2 square and then stops. The token doesn't catch up to its linked location until someone grabs the green shading and "jiggles" it a little bit - then the token jumps to the correct location.

Enemy tokens show red shades squares for some players, but no tokens. Others see the red shading in one square and the actual token in another square. Still others see neither but do see the enemies in the CT.

When tokens do move, there are instances of "rubber banding" as the token moves along it's chosen path, reaches the end point and then moves part way or completely back to it's original location.

Stranger still, the locations of green/red shaded squares can be different for one player compared to another, and token positions when they are in another spot from where the linked shading indicates can also display differently from one player to the next. I had a couple players send me snapshots of what was displayed on their maps - these are attached below as examples.

Cumulative impact of this all was that the session was borderline unplayable.

I had placed all friendly tokens on this map via the green indicator at the bottom of the CT. I have seen this lead to "ghosting" issues in the past, but those generally clear up after a minute or so.

I tried replacing individual tokens by dragging individually from the CT. This made no difference.

I tried deleting all tokens on the map and replacing one by one from the CT. This also made no difference.

I had all players disconnect and clear their cache and then reconnect. This seemed to improve things initially (at least it was playable), but with movement there were still issues afterwards.

It has been suggested that I may have too much shared out. This is I suppose possible as the game has been going for over 2 years so far, but nobody is crashing with out of memory problems. I've loaded the campaign to check ram usage and right now with nobody connected FG is using 735.5 mb.

The map in question is slightly on the large size; 2670x1728 and 1.88 mb. I have in the past, and currently do have maps in play close to twice as large as this and, while they do present slowdowns on occasion and take a long time for players to load, they have not presented any of these token sync challenges.

It has been suggested that I load the campaign and do a /flushdb while no players are connected. I have not done this yet - I wanted to post this first and see if anyone has any ideas first.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JohnD; November 5th, 2019 at 18:17.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

The only time I've seen something like this is when the portrait tokens didn't come through correctly (too large or network issues); but that wouldn't be fixed by wiggling.

Does this happen on GM side, or only on player side?

I can see from the pictures what you are talking about, but not sure what's causing it. Perhaps you can zip up the campaign folder and send to me; and let me know which users are most affected (GM and/or specific user name)?

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Is the ram usage from the gm or player client? Gm clientbis more efficient, make sure you check a player client ram usage.

Has the map image been updated outside of FG?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

True, as LordEntrails says, player RAM usage is much higher for any shared material. (i.e. player clients load all shared tokens/images into memory; but GM client only needs to load when opened). This could still be part of the issue.

Regards,
    JPG

What size are those grid squares (pixel width/height)? They look pretty small - you could be experiencing this issue: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...h-a-small-grid
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    What size are those grid squares (pixel width/height)? They look pretty small - you could be experiencing this issue: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...h-a-small-grid
    Interesting... it does appear the squares are 9x9. I'll try changing that to 10x10 and see if the issue persists.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

Blog Entries
    OK so I did some testing with on of my players this afternoon of the movement issue from last Monday's game.

Changing the grid to 10x10 instead of 9x9 mostly fixes the movement.

The path the token takes from A to B isn't always a straight line, or in the case of a "zig-zag" movement path, it doesn't exactly follow the prescribed path, but the tokens move, everyone sees the movement and ultimately the token ends up in the square you wanted it to be in.

Thanks for the assist!

- John Diefenbaker

Cool. Good to get verification that the 9x9 or less grid was causing the issue.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Cool. Good to get verification that the 9x9 or less grid was causing the issue.
    Yeah, I wanted the grid to be more like 25x25 but I suspect my map file size would have been prohibitive at that. Oh well... will just have to make do.

- John Diefenbaker

I have always had problems using odd numbers for grids.

Thread Information