FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Fantasy Grounds unable to connect

So, we started up the session- everybody connected (two players in Iceland and two in Sweden) no problems, we were going through the what we got up to last session, the recap- my machine falls off the internet (I'm the DM, I'm hosting- Ultimate license).

So everyone tries to come back in again to FG, after I restart it- all 'check connection- unable to connect' errors from players, we're still all on Discord chatting away.

So everybody restarts machines again, I load up FG and everyone tries to come in- still same errors.

When I go to Run Test I get a FAILURE

As do all of the players trying to connect.

And yet less than five minutes previously we were all in game and rolling dice.

Forty minutes later, repeated attempts- switching off PC, trying other machines- same issue.

I can load up FG, talk to players on Discord but they can't connect to Fantasy Grounds- same game/details ALIAS we've been using for the last three sessions.

Help!
    We're playing on-line with Fantasy Grounds, and we're loving it, check out the adventures of the European Union, and the Noobs here-

Goonalan's D&D 5th Edition Campaigns.

Love you lots.

My off-hand guess is you should check your IP address to see if it changed. Your computer may have received a different IP address on your LAN, either when the connection to the internet dropped or when you rebooted. Check your current local IP address on your computer and see if your port forwarding rule on your router still matches. If you have both wired and wireless connections, make sure you're using the IP address from the correct one (wired, preferably in general) and only have one active at a time.

Also, since your computer fell off the internet, it's possible something happened to your router and its settings. It's worth checking it to make sure the port forwarding rule is still intact and your external IP address is what is expected. And check for a firmware update for your router while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by notrealdan View Post
    My off-hand guess is you should check your IP address to see if it changed. Your computer may have received a different IP address on your LAN, either when the connection to the internet dropped or when you rebooted. Check your current local IP address on your computer and see if your port forwarding rule on your router still matches. If you have both wired and wireless connections, make sure you're using the IP address from the correct one (wired, preferably in general) and only have one active at a time.

Also, since your computer fell off the internet, it's possible something happened to your router and its settings. It's worth checking it to make sure the port forwarding rule is still intact and your external IP address is what is expected. And check for a firmware update for your router while you're at it.
    Apologies but I don't understand much of this- I am not a computer person (at all) I have been playing on FG for about a decade though, so...

How do I find out my IP address?
    How do I find out about my Port Forwarding? Where do I even look?
    My router has a cable that goes in to back of my PC- so that's wired- correct?

I'm not sure I understand this at all- If you have both wired and wireless connections, make sure you're using the IP address from the correct one (wired, preferably in general) and only have one active at a time.

I don't know how to check my router, I have never checked my router for anything previously.
    I'm sorta guessing what firmware is, but I don't know how to update the router.

I think what I really don't understand is that my machine falls off line, well not often but y'know once or twice a month- for maybe a few seconds, like this time- and now I have to check all of the above? Is this odd? Is it just a Fantasy Grounds thing? Apologies, I'm just amazed- never encountered anything like this before.

Cheers goonaln
    We're playing on-line with Fantasy Grounds, and we're loving it, check out the adventures of the European Union, and the Noobs here-

Love you lots.

So found my IP address, found the thing about Port Forwarding on FG start screen- I've read what port forwarding is, got that.

Googled How to log in to my router- but don't understand the answers.

Ah-ha found the router, it's at 192.168.1.1

It wants me to log in- I have no idea what my username and password is, I have never been here before... to the best of my knowledge.

Any ideas?

Love you lots.

Quote Originally Posted by goonalan View Post
    It wants me to log in- I have no idea what my username and password is, I have never been here before... to the best of my knowledge.

Any ideas?
    Look for a sticker on your router - there is usually one with the original default password. If not, is there a help/? button on the login page - these sometimes tell you the default. Otherwise do an Internet search for the default.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Look for a sticker on your router - there is usually one with the original default password. If not, is there a help/? button on the login page - these sometimes tell you the default. Otherwise do an Internet search for the default.
    Into the router- good call, default passwords and username.

So in the bit that says Forwarding- do I want to change IP to my Internal IP (192.168.1.100) address or External (91.85.48.146- according to FG) it's neither atm although very close to the Internal number? (192.168.1.102)

Ah, there's also a bit called Virtual Server Port 1802 is linked to same IP address (192.168.1.102)

Cheers goonalan
    Last edited by goonalan; November 5th, 2019 at 21:57.

Love you lots.

So in the bit that says Forwarding- do I want to change IP to my Internal IP (192.168.1.100) address or External (91.85.48.146- according to FG) it's neither atm although very close to the Internal number? (192.168.1.102)

Ah, there's also a bit called Virtual Server Port 1802 is linked to same IP address (192.168.1.102)
    Change to your current internal IP address.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Changed port forwarding to Internal IP address- now getting success on FG when Run Test. Will message a player, see if I can find one and get them to try to log in...

Just out of interest is there any reason this has done this now and not the 43 other times I have fallen off the internet when playing FG?

Also is there anyway I can either prevent it from happening again?

Or else get it auto switch to new IP address?

Thanks goonalan

Love you lots.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Change to your current internal IP address.
    Just making sure- I've changed to current Internal IP address and getting success on FG Run Test- that's correct- Yes?

Not to external IP address.

Cheers goonalan

Love you lots.

Just out of interest is there any reason this has done this now and not the 43 other times I have fallen off the internet when playing FG?
    It could be that it just coincided with when your computer needed to renew its IP address.

Also is there anyway I can either prevent it from happening again?
    Set your computer IP address to be a static IP address.

Thread Information