STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 10 123 ... Last

Schedule for OS/X Beta Testing?

I know there isn't support for FGU Beta testing on Mac's. Is there a date by which it is expected to be supported?

Blog Entries
    Soon. No date given but it has been mentioned that they were looking to have it available within a few weeks of Beta initial release.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    I dont think that will happen.
    Moon Wizard said elsewhere that the Mac dev is also doing the Updater and that is the higher priority right now.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I dont think that will happen.
    Moon Wizard said elsewhere that the Mac dev is also doing the Updater and that is the higher priority right now.
    Dear me - if this is true it's a little bit crushing. Consider:

* Update 20: announcement to backers that the beta drops on the 28th, a mere ten days away

* Update 21: release of beta ("This IS the moment you've all been waiting for.") - for Windows only. Mac release "in about a week if testing goes well. We are testing out builds now."

* Update 22 and 23: issued within two days of Update 21, no Mac news, perfectly understandable

* Update 21 + 7 days: cue nervous anticipation

* Update 21 + 8 days: begin to look for Mac notes on the fora, don't find much

* Update 21 + 9 days: open Kickstarter several times per day hoping for an update, find this thread, get depressed; wonder idly whether there will be any sort of news release; wonder idly whether there's a way to install the software in a Wineskin.

None of this is rational, I know. (You know that knowledge that people are having a heck of a party to which you've been invited but haven't been given the address of?)

tcdo,

Summary
    Our plan is to have a Mac client ready for release of FGU. Beyond that, the beta testing of the Mac client is a fluid project with no set dates.

More Details
    A lot of the updater fixes that Ryan is working on are also relevant to Mac installations as well, since they use the same updater engine. So, all of this eventually funnels into getting the Mac to live release as well.

I just spoke with Ryan this morning, and we are wrapping up the latest round of updater changes this week. And, he should be back on Mac work next week. There are no firm dates when the beta will be available, and we will most likely need to do some internal testing with any final builds we create before we make available to the playtest community as well.

On top of that, adding a Mac client to the mix will also tend to slow down the pace of FGU Window client updates as well, because the Mac and Windows builds are done by different developers. So, there's more coordination needed.

Regards,
    JPG

I just hope that FGU is playable soon on Mac's. I had to give up and upgrade to Catalina this week. My Mac started running really hot to the point the battery was lasting less than 2 hours when it would normally last at least 8 hours. I've noticed this before where some applications get updated and don't run well under the older version of OS/X. Sure enough, I updated to the new OS and everything is back to normal except now my large investment in FG is worthless. I don't accept the so call work-arounds to allow FGC to run on a up to date Mac as reasonable. This means FGC isn't supported on Mac's and FGU isn't supported on Macs yet. In other words, Macs are not currently supported by FG at all.

My group and I are hoping it is a short hiatus for us as we enjoy gaming within FG and some of the parts of FGC that bother us the most seem to be getting addressed in FGU. We were just wanting to see if we could help debug as well, so that Mac's would be supported sooner than later. Anyway it seems like the current Beta testers are providing more feedback than can be addressed, so we understand why there is no need for more Beta testers at this time. Our goal is to get support for FG back on Macs as soon as possible and if that means we go inactive for now, we understand.
    Last edited by Nilram the Grey; November 9th, 2019 at 12:06.

Why don’t you do a kickstarter update with this info, or call the beta the windows beta.

Thanks for letting us know that the Mac version is ‘a fluid project with no set dates’. They never go well in software engineering. I’m now not expecting a Mac version for release.

And thank you for finally being somewhat honest with us, much better than to say ‘about a week’ when that clearly was never going to be true.

Nilram. I wouldn’t hold your breath for FGU to be playable on the Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    tcdo,

Summary
    Our plan is to have a Mac client ready for release of FGU. Beyond that, the beta testing of the Mac client is a fluid project with no set dates.

More Details
    A lot of the updater fixes that Ryan is working on are also relevant to Mac installations as well, since they use the same updater engine. So, all of this eventually funnels into getting the Mac to live release as well.

I just spoke with Ryan this morning, and we are wrapping up the latest round of updater changes this week. And, he should be back on Mac work next week. There are no firm dates when the beta will be available, and we will most likely need to do some internal testing with any final builds we create before we make available to the playtest community as well.

On top of that, adding a Mac client to the mix will also tend to slow down the pace of FGU Window client updates as well, because the Mac and Windows builds are done by different developers. So, there's more coordination needed.

Regards,
    JPG

Calchas,

That is not what I said. I said that we will have a Mac client for release. However, for at this moment in time, it is a lower priority than getting the updater client working well for both platforms. Without the installer/updater, there's no point in having the Mac client ready.

Regards,
    JPG

I am also saving my beta testing fuel for the Mac app. So, looks like you have a few here that will be able to give it some good workouts.
    Truth is, I bought FG originally for use on Mac but the wine implementation isn't ideal for GMs and had to install bootcamp to run it on windows.
    I am very motivated to get FGU testing and working on macOS

Just wanted to add my group and I are really looking forward the Mac version of FGU and are willing to help test. We've been using wineskin for two years and any issues we've had are insignificant compared to the strength of FG. I say take your time to get FGU right and then focus on making it native to the Mac. As long as we know its coming eventually, we're willing to wait.

“That's the thing about people who think they hate computers. What they really hate is lousy programmers.”
    ― Larry Niven

Thread Information