DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Slow loading time - Not Responding message

It always seems to take Minutes (2-5) for the program to load once I have selected the campaign to run and press start.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Do you have a lot of tokens?
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

To be honest, this is pretty standard in the current, un-optimized version of FGU. It's loading all of the assets, etc..
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The "Not Responding" message is also normal for any process that isn't "responding" to the OS. It just means it's busy doing something. It does not necessarily indicate that the program has crashed or even hit a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by notrealdan View Post
    The "Not Responding" message is also normal for any process that isn't "responding" to the OS.
    I wouldn't call it "normal". It's possible to design programs that do work without being labelled unresponsive. Consider the case of photoshop or a video encoder, both work for long periods of time without hanging their UI thread. I'm sure the Smiteworks team will want to circle back on this to keep the UI thread responsive (even if it "handles" the input by doing nothing or saying it's not ready) during loading. But certainly it's a common and expected behavior at the minute, and I believe something that's well understood by the dev team even though it's not listed in the known items thread.

Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    I wouldn't call it "normal". It's possible to design programs that do work without being labelled unresponsive. Consider the case of photoshop or a video encoder, both work for long periods of time without hanging their UI thread. I'm sure the Smiteworks team will want to circle back on this to keep the UI thread responsive (even if it "handles" the input by doing nothing or saying it's not ready) during loading. But certainly it's a common and expected behavior at the minute, and I believe something that's well understood by the dev team even though it's not listed in the known items thread.
    I just meant that that is a normal message from the OS and doesn't necessarily indicate a problem, just that the process is busy. FG is (I believe) a single-threaded program, so if it's busy, it's just busy.

It's not completely single-threaded. In FGU, all the networking is multi-threaded, as well as all the non-image-loading initialization routines. Unity won't let you load images or interact with on-screen objects outside of the main thread; so we're a bit limited in what we can do right now without re-architecting to replace core Unity functions with a separate library. We'll be continuing to look at ways to speed up both the actual UI/code, as well as find ways to allow background tasks to occur for asynchronous operations.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    It's not completely single-threaded. In FGU, all the networking is multi-threaded, as well as all the non-image-loading initialization routines. Unity won't let you load images or interact with on-screen objects outside of the main thread; so we're a bit limited in what we can do right now without re-architecting to replace core Unity functions with a separate library. We'll be continuing to look at ways to speed up both the actual UI/code, as well as find ways to allow background tasks to occur for asynchronous operations.

Regards,
    JPG
    Very interesting, thanks for the clarification!

I'm glad to see this mentioned as the responsiveness of the UI is the biggest negative I see. In fact the UI feels slower loading over FG classic (even when loading the default 5e campaign). I was going to post the suggestion that the UI should have its own thread and any assets be loaded in the background. But it sounds like the development team is already looking into solutions.

Just testing FG. I have the $9/mo. subscription to FGU and a trial version of FGC. FGC starts right up. Almost instantly. Doesn't hang. FGU takes minutes to start up and I have not been able to use is in a live game yet because it becomes unresponsive frequently for minutes at times.

Thread Information