DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Attack +1 When Min Str not met

I am not sure if this is a bug, a feature, or something to keep in mind. I was making ye classic +1 longsword. I can put [Attack+1] either right under the Keyword or as a specific mod when I create an item. I was testing it and for the life of me it would not work, but I had made a magic dagger earlier and it did add the bonus.

It turns out the character had d6 str and it was restricting the longsword damage. While the coding appropriately capped the damage to 2d6, it also negated the [Attack+1]. On another character that satisfied the min Str the [Attack+1] worked as expected (when equipped).

Just something interesting I noticed (perhaps that is a known thing as I am newer to all this).

Regards

The +1 Attack negated the -1 Str Penalty I suspect, so it did technically work.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Hmm, does not look melee weapons imparts that -1 penalty. It does for gear (like armor) and range weapons (per the rules)

I don't think SWADE has a -1 penalty for melee. Just ranged
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

It's working as intended.

If you don't meet the requirements for a Melee Weapon, you don't get positive bonuses from it.

You should, however, use [>Attack +1] instead. Not only it makes it work, but it's also the best option for weapons (It shouldn't work imho, for the same reason above)

What's the difference? When you add a > it will only apply when you attack with that weapon. Say you have two weapons equipped, a Longsword +1 and a normal axe. If your Longsword has [Attack +1], and you have it equipped, you will get a +1 to Attack even when you attack with the axe on your other hand. Now if you use [>Attack +1] instead, the bonus will only apply when you attack with THAT weapon.

I didn't know about the >
    thank you
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

It's a new thing, from the latest update. I've checked the SW Effects Wiki and it's not there (Yet?)

That, damage types and the Ignore #Effect.

You can now use > on weapons and attacks, and said effect will only be applied to that attack in particular. Great for weapons and the example mentioned above.

You can now use [Ignore #NameOfEffect], for example the Steady Hands Edge comes with [Ignore #UnstablePlatform] so it will ignore anything from the effect called Unstable Platform. You can create effects like: Low-light Vision [Ignore #DimIllumination], and it will completely ignore the penalties for Dim Illumination, or you could make it [Ignore #DimIllumination -1], and it will ignore just 1 point of penalty, for example.

You also now have Damage Types on attacks. You can put some Keyworkds on them to make them Typed. For example, you will notice that the Ak-47 has the Keywords: Firearm, Bullet. And then you have a Ballistic Shield which has the effect [@Bullet Damage -4]. So when shooting someone with a ballistic shield with an Ak-47, it will reduce the damage by 4.

So you can play with it, create fire swords, magic items that reduce the fire damage you receive or even enhance the typed damage you deal.

Great stuff

Nice - thanks for the note about the ">" - I'll add that in!

Late response, but did you remember to mark the dagger as EQUIPPED? Otherwise normal effects does not apply.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ikael View Post
    Late response, but did you remember to mark the dagger as EQUIPPED? Otherwise normal effects does not apply.
    Yeah, I did the equip vs. not (or carried, not carried, equipped). It really was with character have Str lower than the weapon min strength (if I bumped the Str up, it worked as expected).

Thread Information