5E Character Create Playlist
    Blog Entries

Reporting Connectivity Issues or Software Problems (How to Ask for Help)

Welcome to the House of Healing. To help the community help you (please remember most advice offered here is by volunteer users just like you), please follow these steps;

1. Verify you have updated to the latest version. Make sure the "Update" button on the launch screen is not red. For latest patch notes, see https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filel...hnotes_v4.html.
    2. Search the forums to see if someone else has already reported the issue. I prefer using the Site Search tool myself, but you can use other search or browse methods as well. If you find a thread with your issue, please add any additional useful information, you can see below the type of information that will help us help you.
    3. If you are having trouble with the user interface, getting things to work they way you think they should or otherwise figure out FGU, have you checked the new FGU wiki? There is a growing amount of info on how to do the basic stuff with FGU. Don't forget to review the User Manual and take free classes through Fantasy Grounds College.
    4. Did you read the stickies at the top of this forum? There are various things there that will help set your expectations and educate you on FGU. And when looking for information specific to a ruleset, check the stickied posts in the sub-forum for that ruleset.
    5. Perhaps you have an enhancement idea? Great! So that ideas do not get lost in the flood of forum posts, please check the Official FG Wish List to see if your idea has already been suggested, and if not, then please add a new idea. And while your there, check out the other suggestions and and vote for those that you feel would be the most valuable.
    6. Now that you know you've identified a new issue, see Reporting Problems below.

Problems Connecting or Staying Connected
    Do you have a game where just one player is having problems connecting, staying connected, or downloading modules / images while other players don't have one of these problems?

These issues are almost always caused by something unique to that one player's environment. Such as: Security on their computer or network device (router, mdem, gateway, etc), Internet Service Provider (ISP), bandwidth, or computer specifications.

Information on troubleshooting network & ISP issues is here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...roubleshooting
    with additional information on "Advanced Security" here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...sers-Important
    Information to help with security issues is here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...s+Applications
    Bandwidth is most often solved by either allowing the troubled player the ability to connect 30+ minutes before other players, limiting the amount of shared content, and reducing image sizes.
    Computer specifications are listed here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...m+Requirements

Reporting Problems
    Please identify the following;

• Can you reproduce the issue? Such as after restarting your computer, in a new campaign? With no Extensions enabled?
    • Does it only happen in a specific ruleset (D&D 5E, CoreRPG, Pathfinder, etc)?
    • Have you verified that you have no community extension enabled? If it is related to a specific extension, let the extension developer know, but don't expect SmiteWorks to be able to resolve the issue. Note that Forge extensions should have a link to a support thread either in the upper left under the extension title, or in the extension description.

Typical info to include in your post;

• Exact detailed steps to reproduce the error
    • Collect and attach your log files.
      To collect your logs, use the "Compile Logs" function that can be found on the console window (type '/console' in chat during a campaign or by opening the console by selecting the icon in the top left corner of the FG Launcher). For more details, see this post.
    • Operating system (Mac OS 10.15, Windows 10, etc)
    • Language or Region Settings (see post #4)
    • Ruleset(s) you are experiencing the issue(s) in.
    • What modules do you have loaded? Are any of these DLC from sources other than the FG Updater? (i.e. manually migrated or 3rd party content)

Where to post your issue?

• If the issue is related to one or more extensions, then please post your report in the thread dedicated to that extension.
    • If the issue is related to a specific DLC product (i.e. adventure), then post in the sub-forum for that ruleset. If it has a "Bugs" thread, use that.
    • FG Unity issues should be reported in the 'House of Healing - Unity' forum.
    • FG Classic issues should be reported in the 'House of Healing - Classic' forum.
    • If the issue is about payment (licenses or products) or about a license key not working or similar, you will usually need to work directly with SmiteWorks. They can be contacted using the Support Portal.
    • Please title your post descriptively, this will help others find the issue and prevent duplicate threads. i.e. "Please Help" or "I have an Issue" titles are not helpful, while things like "Error when Adding Spells" or "Critical Hits not Doing Extra Damage to Giants" are helpful.

Thanks so much for your help! All of this will help SmiteWorks understand issues and focus on identifying and resolving things as quickly as possible

Bug Report Template
    And to help make reports easier, here's a template/outline that you can copy/paste into your report (and change / add / remove sections not needed);

Summary:

Ruleset(s):

Extensions/Themes:

Modules Loaded:

Operating System / Language Setting:

Steps to Reproduce:
    Last edited by LordEntrails; September 23rd, 2022 at 23:06. Reason: Changed title and updated format

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Added new item 2, for how to verify latest update is being used.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Added note to include Operating System in post information.

Blog Entries
    Recently some issues that seem to be related to language and region settings have appeared with FGU. If you are not in the US/UK or your computer / keyboard is not set to use English by default, please include what information you can. From what I have been able to determine, their are a few places this information can be obtained or set (and of course, this is for a Windows 10 US English setup, I do not know how this translates or presents in other environments!)

Settings > Region
    Country or region
    Current Format
    Settings > Language > Windows Display Language

Control Panel > Region
    Format (usually set to the same as Display Language)
    Additional Settings > Decimal & Digit Grouping symbols
    Administrative (tab) > Current Language

Blog Entries
    Added new point 6 for the Wish List. Added info on connection and updater issue stickies. Added template for easier use. Just using cut & paste on the template and putting sample issue below.

Summary:
    Using map XYZ from module ABC in area 15 the LOS door blockers are not working. See attached image.

Ruleset(s):
    D&D 5E

New Campaign / FGC Migrated Campaign:
    New Campaign

Extensions/Themes:
    Dungeon Theme from www.fg-con.com

Modules Loaded:
    ABC, and PHB

Operating System / Language Setting:
    Win 10, US English

Steps to Reproduce:
    Place 4 PC tokens on map, move as shown in image. Notice how LOS leaks around door edges and through wall as shown on attached image.

Blog Entries
    Updated. New Wish List url, link to Support Portal, removed references to FGU Playtest. Added info on Compile Logs. Misc other.
    Last edited by LordEntrails; January 26th, 2021 at 04:59.

Updated the old wiki link (it was going to the old FGU Space instead of FGCP Overview portal page).

Thread Information