5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: NPC Gen Engine

Trademark means I'm trying to use a taken name to brand my company. Which I am not doing. Also you can not copyright a name of a character or list of names. Trenloe quoted that fan content can not verbatim copy wizard IP. Which I did not. All my names have been modified in my tables. Thank you for your concern, but I will defer to Trenloe and when he says that I have gone over a line then I will back up.
    Last edited by deadseacow; October 26th, 2019 at 20:29.

If you could not copyright lists of names, then baby name books would not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by yarnevk View Post
    If you could not copyright lists of names, then baby name books would not exist.
    I'm not following you or agree with you. Even Dungeon and or Dragons can not be copyrighted. It can be trademark as in only WOTC can use it as a business name. Their font can be copyright because its treated as an image. Their graphics can be because there are an image. Even if its is a list of names those names can not be WOTC IP. But if I scanned the page as a whole that is their IP. Because now it is a image of their material. I did not do any of those things.

Here is the US government says what can not be copyrighted

"Names, Titles, Short Phrases Words and short phrases, such as names, titles, and slogans, are uncopyrightable because they contain an insufficient amount of authorship. The Office will not register individual words or brief combina-tions of words, even if the word or short phrase is novel, distinctive, or lends itself to a play on words.Examples of names, titles, or short phrases that do not contain a sufficient amount of creativity to support a claim in copyright include
    • The name of an individual (including pseudonyms, pen names, or stage names)
    • The title or subtitle of a work, such as a book, a song, or a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work
    • The name of a business or organization
    • The name of a band or performing group
    • The name of a product or service
    • A domain name or URL
    • The name of a character
    • Catchwords or catchphrases
    • Mottos, slogans, or other short expressions
    Under certain circumstances, names, titles, or short phrases may be protectable under federal or state trademark laws. For information about trademark laws, visit the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office website or call 1-800-786-9199"

https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ33.pdf

I will no longer respond to any inquires about this subject matter unless it comes from a FG moderator.
    Last edited by deadseacow; October 27th, 2019 at 23:07.

I have been working on Shop gen tables. I feel like its coming along well. But formatting it is a bit more tricky. Right now I have divided the shops into four classes, Hamlet, Village, Town, City. Each one would produce a certain level of items. Hamlet being the fewest and the City having a chance to stock a magic item or two. I have used part of the NPC generator to make the shop keeper. My goal is to include the status needed so the DM could use when players are trying to haggle, steal, persuade, or bully their purchases.

Right now the Hamlet will only produce standard adventure gear with no weapons and maybe a potion or two.
    The Village will have access to a shrine, inn, and general store that might have simple weapons but definitely some potions.

At this point Each item will randomly generate the price. The coin range is from 15 percent below to 50 percent higher standard prices. And Each time the table rolls the item a new price will come up. So you can have several potions and all will be slightly different prices. The Inn will generate 37 different meals all with their own prices.

You might want to have a look at Story templates https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...tory-Templates
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You might want to have a look at Story templates https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...tory-Templates
    Thank you Zacchaeus,

I actually just looked at that earlier today from that same thread. I wanted it to work but unfortunately Store Templates do not let math run along side of the tables. If I wanted to pull from a table 2d6 times it would not work. Or if I wanted the price to follow an item it would just print the formula instead of running through it.

Or at least I could not figure out how to. I'm welcome to suggestions.

DeadSeaCow

Quote Originally Posted by deadseacow View Post
    Thank you Zacchaeus,

I actually just looked at that earlier today from that same thread. I wanted it to work but unfortunately Store Templates do not let math run along side of the tables. If I wanted to pull from a table 2d6 times it would not work. Or if I wanted the price to follow an item it would just print the formula instead of running through it.

Or at least I could not figure out how to. I'm welcome to suggestions.

DeadSeaCow
    There are some restrictions. Here's a couple of methods.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    There are some restrictions. Here's a couple of methods.
    I just rewatched the tutorial and first off thank you for the video. I discovered my problem and remedy it because your explanation is clear and makes sense. Also your example makes it clear on how one would go that route. Im playing with the tables and templates tonight to see if there is a method that I like. Thanks again

DeadSeaCow

Zacchaeus,

I think I have found a bug when trying to discover a different way to have a table roll multiable times. Watching your video made me away of using <> to pull a result from a table. So I made three tables to try and see if I could pull the results from one table and have it determine how many times the next table would roll. For instance normally you could do [1d4x][Inventory] to have Inventory roll 1d4x times.

I tried to have a "Master" table that would first roll "Slave" table then try and bring the "Slave" table results into the "Inventory" table. <slave>[Inventory]. I could not get this to work. I then tried <slave>x[Inventory], [<slave>x][Inventory] and a few other combinations. To my conclusion I think that the <> converts all results into a string including numbers. And you can't multiply a string as a integer, basic coding... So I wondered if I had the "Master" first randomly pick a number in a cell then called that cell in front of another table. I wanted to use [Master|1][Inventory]

This is were I think the bug is at. The Master table had [1d4] in the first cell. I then type [Master|1][Inventory] in the following cell, it didn't work. So I type [Master][Inventory] and FG either locks up and force closes, or will roll forever a d4, or roll it hundreds of times and then comes out of it. I know to have a table roll on itself is kind of pointless but I was just experimenting with tables.

DeadSeaCow

The angled brackets <> recalls a stored table result so that it can be placed in a string. It can't be used to call a table or anything else.

Story templates don't really give you a good result if the table you call has child tables or has multiple columns. If you want to use Story Templates you need to find a way to have all of your tables single roll and not have tables whose result is dependent on a roll from another table. They might not really be any use for what you are attempting to do.

For example if you have a master table which rolls a random race and that table then calls other tables dependant on the result of the Master table a Story Template probably won't work too well. If you wanted to use a Story Template you would need one for each race and link those to the table rows of your first table. You would then have multiple single roll tables attached to the story templates for height, weight, eye colour, hair colour etc etc.

You can't automatically use the result of one table to roll on another. In your [Mastery|1][Inventory] line that is returning a result from the first column of the Mastery table and then rolling completely independently on the Inventory table. If you are calling this from the Mastery table then it is simply calling itself infinitely. It isn't a bug but a user error

You can call a table on itself - for example you might have something like on a 20 roll on this table again type scenario. It can be done but you run the risk of setting up an infinite loop.

Thread Information