FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thread: NPC Gen Engine

NPC Gen Engine

NPC Gen Engine

“NPC Gen Engine is unofficial Fan Content permitted under the Fan Content Policy. Not approved/endorsed by Wizards. Portions of the materials used are property of Wizards of the Coast. ©Wizards of the Coast LLC.”

Hi everyone,

Current status of NPC Generator

I wanted to create a quick way to flesh out a NPC. At this point it will Randomly pick Race, Name, Stats w/ Race stat bonus, Class, random equipment that belongs to class, Gold, Deity/Alignment, and background w/ traits,ideal,bond, and flaw. And only requires the PHB to function. I'm still currently typing in all human names and have about a third entered. Learning the tables so that the text is formatted in a useful way was fun to figure out. Something I learned is when FG starts working a table it will go down the whole row and first display the texts enter into each cell. Then it will return to the front and then work the tables in that row. So even if you put the text behind a table the result will be the text are displayed before the all tables.

The tables can do simple math. Which is how the random stat works. Ex. STR [1d6+1d6+1d6] DEX [1d6+1d6+1d6] CON [1d6+1d6+1d6] INT [1d6+1d6+1d6] WIS [1d6+1d6+1d6] CHA [1d6+1d6+1d6] will generate a basic random roll. I don't know how much more complicated the tables can do. If in the future FG adds variables to the tables you will be able to do some really sick stuff.

One of my favorite things right now are when a half-elf is picked the engine will randomly select names from either elf or human names. The same goes for half-orc. Also the only way I could figure out alignment was to have it select a deity first then just default the alignment to that god/goddess. But it can select no deity and still randomly pick an alignment.

I have seen some really funky NPC's pop out and I think it just makes them more colorful and memorable.

Current Version is "NPC Gen Engine 1.5"

To use:
    Load up the current version of NPC Gen Engine.com
    Ensure PHB is loaded
    Bring up the tables and the top two tables are
    001 NPC Female Gen Engine
    001 NPC Male Gen Engine

Roll either of those tables and it will generate a NPC into a story window.

It was fun and I will be loading the rest of the human names through out the week. I will also be looking into other tables to create.

DeadSeaCow
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by deadseacow; October 26th, 2019 at 19:31. Reason: upload newest NPC Gen Engine mod

Thanks for sharing.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I decided to update it again. Tables are addicting. You start with a question about how can you do it and now 6 hours has past.

My tables started to get very numerous so I made a folder numbering system. From there I decided to give each race their bonus to their stats and setup the system to easily accept names. I'm trying to decide it i should just enter the names my self from my Xanathers hard copy or not. If I did then no one would be required to have the xanather mod and make it more accessible to everyone. I have my hard copy of xanather's its just do I want to type out the thousand or so names. Does anyone know the table amount limit fantasy grounds can support?

Also if you exceed more than 20 items per table will it automatically roll a high value to make sure all entries are included. I have uploaded the next version of the NPC Gen Engine

Thanks
    DeadSeaCow
    Last edited by deadseacow; October 19th, 2019 at 21:03.

Quote Originally Posted by deadseacow View Post
    I'm trying to decide it i should just enter the names my self from my Xanathers hard copy or not.
    Assuming those names are intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast and covered by copyright, then you wouldn't be able to share the resulting module.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

You can't include things which are actually in a WotC module. You can only link to it. I'm not sure what names you are referring to but if it is the tables which generate random names you can link to those tables.

You don't actually need a dice value in a table. FG will automatically roll a dice using the first number of the first row and the last number of the last row. So if that happens to be 56 then FG will roll a d56. You can have as many rows as you want and number them however you want.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

So we can only link things together?

For instance, there is no link for the god and goddess. So I just typed their name into a table myself. Is that against the rules?

I just read the this website and it states that names can not be copyright due to insufficient creatively to support the claim in copyright.
    https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ33.pdf - page 2 to 3 shows example of items that can not be copyrighted.

WOTC did not come up with the name Talos but are using it in their copyright material. Dungeon and Dragons can not be copy right but the font can be.

I just want to make sure I understand these things because I dont want to start to something that will be shutdown later.
    Last edited by deadseacow; October 19th, 2019 at 21:30.

It depends on what you are talking about. WotC have copyrighted names such as Mordenkainen, Volo etc. Names of things that have existed for thousands of years like the names of gods can't be copyrighted.

Well Im still not understanding because one of the items that can not be copyrighted is names of characters. Which Volo and Mordenkainen are. The page I referred too is a link to the US governments copyright office. So my next question is has this road been gone down before and WOTC requested a stop through office channels? I can understand images, fonts, even the literature like dnd lore. I doubt this is the first time Volo has been used commercially.

Also thank you for explaining the tables to me, I tested it out and works exactly as you describe. I went ahead and revisited the tables to formatted them to the way you describe and there are no issues. Now I'm drumming my fingers trying to decide to make the name tables or not.

DeadSeaCow

What names are you talking about exactly?

Xanathar's Guide to Everything Pages 174-191 There just random tables with names on it.

DeadSeaCow

Thread Information