DICE PACKS BUNDLE

FG causing full computer crash

Hi all,

Been using FG for several years (2+) now on the same computer (Macbook Air 2017, currently running Mojave 10.14.5). Only recently (maybe last 3 months) I've begun experiencing a serious problem running games where FG freezes my entire computer, ultimately requiring a complete shutdown and reboot. The first couple of times this happened it occurred while hosting a game. I originally thought that perhaps I was attempting to share too many files (numerous image/map files that I had not yet 'unshared' from previous games) so I went through and removed a bunch of old files from the campaign file and stopped sharing all images.

This seemed to help a bit, but the issue did pop up again the next session (one crash in 4 hours as opposed to 3 crashes in 4 hours the previous time). Then today the same freeze occurred while running FG without hosting any players. I'm at a bit of a loss how to proceed - any help would be greatly appreciated! I love FG and am extremely excited about the FG-Unity Beta!

Welcome to the FG forums. Sorry you're having issues.

A complete freeze of your computer will be something underlying in the operating system. The usual culprit is your graphics card driver, or the windows emulator you're using. I'm not a Mac user myself, but I'd recommend you check updates for those, or maybe even roll-back any updates to those done in the last few months.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi klough welcome to FG.

This does sound like a memory issue. If whilst FG is running your campaign it is using close to or more than 3Gb of memory then you are using too much. Not only do images take up memory but also open modules (especially token modules) and tokens in the tokens/host folder. So close any modules you don't need open and especially close all token modules since those aren't needed whilst you are running your campaign. Also if you have tokens in the tokens/host or tokens/shared folders then consider making token modules for those tokens and removing them completely from those folder.

Edit: or what Trenloe says above.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    You can also double-check if your system is running hot. In the Settings, there is an option for cross-compatibility. Try turning that off if it is on and run FG again. This used to be required for running on a Mac or Linux, but we had reports that it was no longer necessary and just caused excessive CPU and GPU cycles. If it is doing extra work that is increasing heat on your CPU, then a hard crash and shutdown could be your system's attempt to prevent heat damage on your system. This is also a common hardware aging issue where heat sinks or CPU fans lose effectiveness over time. Replacing a fan or removing and re-applying the heat sync with new thermal paste often fixes that up.

Thread Information