FG Spreadshirt Swag

Connection failure again

This is getting to the point where I'm considering switching back to Roll20 even though I have countless dollars invested in FG and backed the new version.

I had another post a month of two ago that suddenly my players couldn't connect to my game and when I run that little test on the launch campaign screen. I was told to check my port forwarding, never mind it worked for 2 years previously. Make sure i was set to a private network and every other tip that was already mentioned online. In that instance I had to reboot my router to get it to work.

Now before i scheduled session I always run that test an hour before we play. Last night I did the same and green light. We go to play the game, no one can connect. I shut down FG, start it again and run the test...failure. I reboot router, failure.., I check my network didn't change from last windows update (even though it was just green) and it didn't, check the ports even though there is no way those changed. Rebooted router again, failure...

After 1 hour of trying everything I could think of aside from casting a remove curse spell we said screw it and didn't play. I have no idea why this continues to happen but I had zero problems my first several years. I don't even know what else to try and my game is on hold.

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just frustrated. Hopefully the new version will provide for seamless connections.

Sorry you're having issues. I understand the frustration.

I think we should step back and start from the beginning as things have probably changed on your setup. Sorry if you've gone over this before, but I don't think it's a waste of time if we look at exactly what your system is doing now.

Please answer the bottom 7 questions from the first post here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ions-Explained
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I'll do so when I get home from work. Thanks

I was unable to do this last night as we had a family emergency, I will try it tonight.

However I restarted my machine this morning and tested just for giggles and it is green again. I will still do the steps above and report but this is just beyond odd.

Blog Entries
    Hello Danimal66, this could be a sign that your router is starting to fail. If you are not having to change the IP address set up for port forward to match a new IP address shown on the FG screen, and it works some times but not others, then I would start suspecting the router.

If the router is just assigning a new IP address and your port forward entry no longer points to your system, then this is something that can easily be fixed by either:
    • Extending the TTL setting for DHCP on your server to allow it to keep the same assignment longer
    • Checking the IP displayed in FG each time and then make sure the router's port forward still matches. Change on the router if needed
    • Set your router to always assign your computer the same IP address.

Edit: Before you replace your router, check to see if there is a firmware update you can run on it and then re-test.

I have a static IP I pay my provider for. I actually had to buy one because when i switched to Metronet I had problems with FG and you guys helped me out and determined via the traceroute that I needed a static IP. Not sure if this effects your answer, I'm using the router they provided and I'm suspecting that is the issue as I often lose wifi signal with the router as well. I should just buy one myself but then they won't provide support.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Hello Danimal66, this could be a sign that your router is starting to fail. If you are not having to change the IP address set up for port forward to match a new IP address shown on the FG screen, and it works some times but not others, then I would start suspecting the router.

If the router is just assigning a new IP address and your port forward entry no longer points to your system, then this is something that can easily be fixed by either:
    • Extending the TTL setting for DHCP on your server to allow it to keep the same assignment longer
    • Checking the IP displayed in FG each time and then make sure the router's port forward still matches. Change on the router if needed
    • Set your router to always assign your computer the same IP address.

Edit: Before you replace your router, check to see if there is a firmware update you can run on it and then re-test.

Blog Entries
    If you are paying them for the router, then you should be able to get a new/replacement one from them for free. At least my ISP does that. I just take my in to their office and then give me a new one whenever I show up.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information