5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Random disconnects and reconnects for player on same LAN

My wife plays in a campaign of mine and she is the only player experiencing this issue. We are wired on the same LAN and router and are sitting in the same room. Randomly during the game she will disconnect from the session and quickly reconnect. No one else does this. I would just ignore it as annoying spam, but it causes synchronization issues eventually where she won't be able to see a newly revealed section of map or a monster will disappear. Everything returns to normal, for a while, if she leaves the game and comes back in.

We are both using Windows 10 and I think the issue didn't start until she upgraded to 10, but I can't remember exactly now. She used to connect using the campaign alias but now uses the ip address, but both have the same problem. We updated all her network related drivers, which didn't help.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Quote Originally Posted by rickyhunt View Post
    She used to connect using the campaign alias but now uses the ip address, but both have the same problem.
    Which IP address is she using? The internal or the external?

Is she on WiFi? Is the GM on WiFi too?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Which IP address is she using? The internal or the external?

Is she on WiFi? Is the GM on WiFi too?
    She is wired through the same router I am using, no wifi involved. She is using my external ip which she can connect to fine during a 4 hour game and stay connected 99%+ of the time, just the intermittent disconnects. She can use the alias too, but still has the same issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyhunt View Post
    She is wired through the same router I am using, no wifi involved. She is using my external ip which she can connect to fine during a 4 hour game and stay connected 99%+ of the time, just the intermittent disconnects. She can use the alias too, but still has the same issues.
    Use the Internal Address for people on the same LAN. Using the external address (or the alias) means her connection will go out to the Internet and back in - and a lot of routers don't like that. Using the internal address means she'll be connected directly to you on the LAN.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Using the internal ip fixed the problem. She didn't get a single disconnect in 4 hours. Thanks.

Thread Information