DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Spacecraft Record Sheets

Hi Folks,

Over the weekend I've finishing converting two more MGT2 products, one an adventure 'High and Dry' (a great introduction I think) and 'Spinward Marches 1: The Bowman Arm' (a source/idea book that fits in nicely with High and Dry).

Central Supply Catalogue has been updated and #LordNanoc is testing, it's around 60% complete, so before I continue with a CoC book (in the week) I thought I'd tackle the Spacecraft Record Sheet.

I've just posted on my Twitter the current look and feel, so the reason for this post.

Do you want to be able to create your own ships straight away, or are you happy just to have the spacecraft from the Rulebook/published Adventures? As there's no builder at the moment, it's just plain text etc, don't mind doing it, but could mean when the builder is built, any already built ship may need deleting.

I'm also thinking that on the Character Sheets, I'll add a section on the Equipment Tab where player Ship/Vehicles can reside, these will be shortcut style links - should do it I think.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Hi Folks,

Over the weekend I've finishing converting two more MGT2 products, one an adventure 'High and Dry' (a great introduction I think) and 'Spinward Marches 1: The Bowman Arm' (a source/idea book that fits in nicely with High and Dry).

Central Supply Catalogue has been updated and #LordNanoc is testing, it's around 60% complete, so before I continue with a CoC book (in the week) I thought I'd tackle the Spacecraft Record Sheet.

I've just posted on my Twitter the current look and feel, so the reason for this post.

Do you want to be able to create your own ships straight away, or are you happy just to have the spacecraft from the Rulebook/published Adventures? As there's no builder at the moment, it's just plain text etc, don't mind doing it, but could mean when the builder is built, any already built ship may need deleting.

I'm also thinking that on the Character Sheets, I'll add a section on the Equipment Tab where player Ship/Vehicles can reside, these will be shortcut style links - should do it I think.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
    MBM
    I will make a suggestion, I personally think being able to short term enter a record would be nice, but just having the core ships would be
    satisfactory. But if you do allow people to enter text into a new ship record, I would suggest having a default hidden field that indicates it was
    totally text entered, then when the builder is complete, have the builder put a different value into that field. The idea is then if a ship is used
    in the eventual ship combat code, if it was totally text base, you would get a console error message, advising a rebuild using the shipbuilder code,
    the reasoning behind this, it gives a straightforward error message situation, (i.e non builder ship used in combat), rather than
    whatever strange error happens when the ship combat encounters an unrecognized value. It should simplify figuring out errors and debugging.

Chumbly

I think it is fine to be able to enter our own ships for now and re-enter them again later. High Guard will probably take awhile to code and test, and it seems like the start of coding is still off in the horizon, so in the meantime this gives us something.

@Both,

First thanks for your input on this.

Anything created by the rulebooks/corebooks will be locked (like Items are now), you can copy them and edit, but you can't change that content. Any dragged onto a Character Sheet should be fine as those are links to the data.

I've tested it and it works adding your own Spacecraft (the Far Trader/Free Trader) shown on my Twitter feed are done 'in game'. I now need to build the data from the books and make Spacecraft as part of the Ruleset data. I'll get to this during the week alongside some CoC stuff I need to complete.

However I'm hoping it's a good thing to release now (next Tuesday in TEST I think).

CSC is moving on with good speed, I'll check what LordNanoc has discovered tonight. So I think it's safe to say High Guard will start next month, that should give the Devs at SW sometime to move forwards with the SFRPG Spaceship CT, and I can steal some of their glory! The content in High Guard is minimal for a core book, the builder is complicated, for example Hull's, there are standard hulls plus plenty of variations, such as Radiation Shielding or Stealth etc. Still nothing impossible to solve.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Will the PC owned craft be a centrally located and universally accessable item like the one in the Edge of the Empire ruleset? If not I would suggest this as something to look at. I realize that ruleset is not built on CoreRPG but perhaps you can pull some ideas and concept from it. I feel it was a nicely done feature for a community owned ship.

It's probably already been discussed, but ships should be treated as Chars. They got stats, armour, weapons and inventory. Just saying. Maybe the wheel don't have to be reinvented at all...

Quote Originally Posted by LordNanoc View Post
    It's probably already been discussed, but ships should be treated as Chars. They got stats, armour, weapons and inventory. Just saying. Maybe the wheel don't have to be reinvented at all...
    I think the Savage Worlds ruleset has the best vehicle system. You can attach characters to parts of the vehicle so that their skills and abilities can be used in conjunction with whatever component they are connected to. So say Jonah with Dex +1 and Gunner (Turret) 2 is connected to a Laser Turret the ruleset knows that turret is +3, Vivian is at the helm and applies her bonuses, Morgan is in overall command with Tactics (naval), etc...

So the ship becomes more than a character, it links all the appropriate characters to their appropriate stations or functions. You can use the standard character actions in a combat tracker to determine which part of the ship is going off at any given time. In ship vs. ship you could also use enemy ship similarly crewed.
    Last edited by esmdev; October 19th, 2019 at 20:12. Reason: Errant words...

SFRPG is having a Spacecraft combat system built for it. I intend to use that as the starting point. As a CT simply uses a data object, it's safe to say that we can do pretty much what we want in MGT2.

I don't plan to rush into this, the Spacecraft data needs to be perfect before any thoughts on combat.

The upcoming Spacecraft record sheet is simply a place holder at this time for something much better.

Cheers,
    MBM

Hopefully im not ressurecting a old thread, but is there any instructions on how to enter new spacecraft data in the system yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tommenquar View Post
    Hopefully im not ressurecting a old thread, but is there any instructions on how to enter new spacecraft data in the system yet?
    Morning,

You can't yet, I've not yet been happy with the 'Record' sheet for the Spacecraft. It'll happen soon, I'm currently updating NPC's and Equipment at the moment. Spacecraft will get a lot of attention soon once I begin on High Guard.

Cheers,
    MBM

Thread Information