5E Character Create Playlist

Catalina and 64 bit only

Hey folks, I was not caught unawares with Catalina being 64bit only. They have been warning of that for a long time now.

I am getting a new MacBook when they release (hopefully 16"?) but I will not be able to use it to develop on for FG because it will come with Catalina. This is why I am happy my older laptop is still good with 1TB SSD / 16GB, but its the last of the 15" fatties. I will keep it on the older MACOS until Unity is out.

Only thing is, I went to google how to find out what is still 32bit to see if I have other apps with problems. The description to go to About/Software/Apps is ... nice... but when you sort by 64 bit flag, it shows FG as "64 bit" when it is not. Does anyone know what is throwing it off? Maybe the wrapper or whatever is used to run the Windows on Mac software?

I know if you go to run it, it very clearly has been telling us for some time... "hell to the no", won't work soon(tm).

"Soon" is here if you update.

Blog Entries
    It's showing FG as 64 bit because the Wine wrapper is 64 bit, not the actual FG that is inside the wrapper.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yeah, I knew we were 32 but, I was complaining about Mac misclassifying it.

However, I wonder now if since can run 64 bit Win and Wine wasn’t changed NOT to run 32 bit apps... maybe it will still work lol (I’m sure not since Apple keeps warning when start FG - odd though it calls “Fantasy Grounds” in system info as 64 bit. Probably there is another entry in system info like fg_otherexecutable where 64bit=false I did NOT spot.)

Blog Entries
    Mac only sees the wrapper, it can't see what applications are loaded inside the wrapper until it actually runs it, which it doesn't do to classify it.

I believe others have already tested running the wrapper and it does not work with Catalina. If I remember right, it does work with Bootcamp and might work with some other options, but I don't think any has yet to test and report the results. If you search the forums for Catalina and 10.1 (?) You will see the other discussions.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Makes sense that. It’s the classic fail at runtime vs compile time thing (yeah, I’m a C++ guy at heart no matter last years of darn Java)

I’ll keep my old Pro on whatever it before Cat and will lay on Windows pc, dev on old Pro and do all else non FG on new pro if it comes out at end of month.

Thread Information