5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Newbie question about face-to-face use

My weekly 5e group meets face-to-face; we all have laptops, and are currently using MapTools as a VTT.

I am looking at upgrading to FG, but what I am not clear on are these questions:

1) As GM I would get a Standard or Ultimate account. Would my players just create an account, or download the demo, our would they have to buy a license?

2) Are there any special issues when using FG as I have described, as opposed to the more common long-range Net games?

3) My players will want to roll physical dice; is that going to require any special adjustments?

Welcome to the FG forums!

1) If the GM has a standard license, all players will need a standard license also. If the GM has an ultimate then the players can play with the demo.

2) The only gotcha is the players should connect with the local IP address of the GM and not use the alias to connect.

3) You can enabled to manual dice entry option for the GM. Exactly how you use FG is up to you - manually entering every single dice roll might be too much (it would be for me). But you can decide how much data you're going to keep in FG and what level of automation you want to use.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Welcome!
    Many of us use FG for face-to-face games like you are describing (and other ways too!) Just let us know if you have other questions

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Welcome to the FG forums!

1) If the GM has a standard license, all players will need a standard license also. If the GM has an ultimate then the players can play with the demo.

2) The only gotcha is the players should connect with the local IP address of the GM and not use the alias to connect.

3) You can enabled to manual dice entry option for the GM. Exactly how you use FG is up to you - manually entering every single dice roll might be too much (it would be for me). But you can decide how much data you're going to keep in FG and what level of automation you want to use.
    Thanks. As to #3, I'm mainly interested in a VTT, although once I have the other options, it may create interest. My players love dice, and are not even slightly interested in automation in that regard.

The key for me is map prep time. I'll keep reading posts. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Welcome!
    Many of us use FG for face-to-face games like you are describing (and other ways too!) Just let us know if you have other questions
    What level of automation do you use?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo417 View Post
    What level of automation do you use?
    Most of it. I use very few extensions (no automation ones). My players have effects for most everything. I use the Combat Tracker and maps etc. Other than us all being in the same room, it's like we are remote, except I have a second display up on a 55" TV. So players can use that as their map and just use their laptops for character sheets and reference. We do use FG die rolling. All of my players prefer the ease of that to rolling physical dice and entering the results.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks. As to #3, I'm mainly interested in a VTT, although once I have the other options, it may create interest. My players love dice, and are not even slightly interested in automation in that regard.

The key for me is map prep time. I'll keep reading posts. Thanks.
    Exactly what VTT functionality are you looking to use?

I use FG in face-to-face games for displaying maps and images to the players. I do this via a 48" TV laid flat on the table top. We still use minis on the TV, but I have maps and images electronically, use the mask features, put tokens on the map for features and labels, but still use minis for PCs and NPCs. I use FG for info lookup (spells, etc.). I don't track HP etc. within FG. Some info, and a useful extension, here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-To-Face-games For this you (the GM) just need a single standard license.

How would you like to use it?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Exactly what VTT functionality are you looking to use?

I use FG in face-to-face games for displaying maps and images to the players. I do this via a 48" TV laid flat on the table top. We still use minis on the TV, but I have maps and images electronically, use the mask features, put tokens on the map for features and labels, but still use minis for PCs and NPCs. I use FG for info lookup (spells, etc.). I don't track HP etc. within FG. Some info, and a useful extension, here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-To-Face-games For this you (the GM) just need a single standard license.

How would you like to use it?
    Likely just as a tactical map, same as we use MapTools. I have an Ipad for my notes and rules, and a physical initiative tracker. One of my players suggested Roll20, but the prep time is too large to justify the benefits. I thought I would check out FG.

Blog Entries
    Likely just as a tactical map, same as we use MapTools. I have an Ipad for my notes and rules, and a physical initiative tracker. One of my players suggested Roll20, but the prep time is too large to justify the benefits. I thought I would check out FG.
    You can certainly use FG that way. Make sure you explore the map/image resize options to go full screen etc.

But, also play around with the combat tracker. My group found that our combats in FG go 3 times faster than they go without FG. Out FG sessions really rock, gives us lots of time for roleplaying and socializing without reducing how much campaign/story "progress" we make.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    You can certainly use FG that way. Make sure you explore the map/image resize options to go full screen etc.

But, also play around with the combat tracker. My group found that our combats in FG go 3 times faster than they go without FG. Out FG sessions really rock, gives us lots of time for roleplaying and socializing without reducing how much campaign/story "progress" we make.
    Combat lag isn't an issue with us. With the initiative visual aid and a VTT and everyone using a laptop, fights go very smoothly. And having to buy several books I already own isn't really appealing. I believe we'll stick with our current system for now; thanks for all the input, this really helped me make a informed opinion..

Thread Information