5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Update wiped all data from campaign.

hey i just updated and i lost all my data for my campaign. the option to load it was there but a pop up came and informed be there was an error while loading campaign files and that there was a back up and where it was located.

the problem i cant seem to get the back up to actually open. help please there was a lot of custom work in the campaign and it would be a pain to remake it all

First backup your campaign folder to somewhere safe. Then open the campaign folder for the campaign that you have a problem with and find the file called db.xml. Rename that file to dbold or dbdead or whatever. Now find the session file with the latest date stamp or the biggest file size. Rename that file to db.xml and the start FG and load your campaign.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

every time the error comes up. i think the update made it read the old files wrong it seems to have wiped the whole data feed from the old files
    they are empty, when i open them there is no code

The update does not change your campaign data files at all. It only updates files in rulesets, extensions, modules, tokens and the application directory.

Every day that FG is opened a db.session.*.xml file is created which is a copy of the campaign data that is stored for each campaign. These are the files that Zacchaeus mentioned. If you have opened and closed the campaign successfully with data at least once, then the campaign data should be in the campaign folder.

* Did the campaigns disappear completely? (i.e. folders are gone). If so, you may want to search on your hard drive for "campaigns", as you may have changed the FG data folder setting, which changes which folder it's trying to read from.

* Also, is your data folder set up as part of a synchronization software, such as OneDrive. If so, you'll want to exclude the folder to prevent corruption when using FG and the synchronization software has files locked.

* Can you provide a screenshot of your campaigns subfolder under the FG data folder? And a screenshot inside of the specific campaign folder having issues? You can take a single window screenshot by pressing Alt+PrintScreen keys.

Regards,
    JPG

it was there in the db.xlm it was working, closed out and updated and reopened it and the data was gone. error line zero, no data. was the box so the updating process wiped the data from my files.

Can you provide the screenshots that Moon Wizard asked for. Do you see the list of session files in the campaign folder? Have you tried to rename one of the session files as noted above?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I just restarted my computer and when I got back into Fantasy Grounds, my campaign data was wiped. I tried the above steps (from what I understood) and renamed the largest db.session to db.xml, but it's still not loading my added files. It went from about 1300 KB to 5 KB. How can I get my data back?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootrue View Post
    I just restarted my computer and when I got back into Fantasy Grounds, my campaign data was wiped. I tried the above steps (from what I understood) and renamed the largest db.session to db.xml, but it's still not loading my added files. It went from about 1300 KB to 5 KB. How can I get my data back?
    Please post a listing of all files in that directory.
    If the files are indeed gone you will need to restore from your own backups.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootrue View Post
    Close FG

Turn on file extensions. View > options > Show extensions (or similar)

You will then see that you have a "db.xml" and "db.xml.xml" file. Notice the files sizes of them? Rename db.xml to db_old.xml and db.xml.xml to db.xml. Restart FG, open your campaign.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information