5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Ok so back to my original thread.

I've run into a fairly serious issue. Twice now, the game has completely froze without warning. I've tried waiting but it doesn't seem to fix itself. When I abort the process and reload, I find that my campaign database is corrupt and I have to restore from backup.

Is this a known issue with having too many tokens loaded at once?

Blog Entries
    Is your FG Data folder stored on/in a shared location/folder? Such as One Drive, Drop Box, Google Drive?
    What is happening with your process size?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharo View Post
    Is this a known issue with having too many tokens loaded at once?
    Loading any large amount of data, especially images (including tokens), will take up a lot of memory. As LordEntrails mentions - check the memory use of FantasyGrounds.exe

As Moon Wizard mentions - load up tokens modules just when you need them, then unload them once you've assigned tokens to NPCs/encounters - FG will still access those assigned tokens with the module closed. Putting tokens in modules but then opening them all is not any more efficient in terms of FG resource usage than just them in the tokens directory.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

All of the .mod files im building and loading are on the local device, NVMe. Process has me running at 2,785MB. I've been watching that to stay below 4GB for the 32bit app limit and I read somewhere else its actually 3.3GB for FG.

The freezes only seem to happen in the first minute or two of starting the application or only when I'm trying to add or remove token sets. I've taken a practice now of just letting the application settle when i first start up and not messing with the tokens in the first couple of minutes an that seems an acceptable workaround. It just caught my attention because this is the first time I've run into a campaign corruption and I've put a lot of work into this one so it was a little shock value at first. Thanks for the DB backups!

Blog Entries
    FG "freezing" is because its busy loading all of those tokens into memory. Tokens in the tokens folder or in open token modules are all opened into memory. It's like opening a hundred of image windows in Gimp etc. If that only takes a couple minutes, your doing well. Unload all but the dozen or two tokens that you need and FG will start in seconds.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I did extensive testing on loading this many tokens and I did experience the long "pause" sometimes when loading them from a directory. I documented those up above in the thread. That went away when I converted everything to modules. After the conversion the game ran alot better and without event, even with 2000 + tokens. In fact the first dozen or so times I started the game and worked on my campaign without any incident or "pause" in the game.

This freezing event I'm talking about is different from the token "pause", and even after waiting 20 minutes, the game does NOT recover at all. I pushed the game to background and went to the folder once and found the DB.xml at 0 bytes. So whatever is happening when it freezes is something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharo View Post
    Process has me running at 2,785MB.
    That's still pretty high for normal operation - you don't have much to play with and when gaming it's easy for memory use to jump by 400MB or more and you're into trouble territory.

As we've recommended - reduce the number of token modules you have open. This will reduce memory use - which is what you should be looking at now.

If that doesn't help, open the console window and see if there are any warnings, or if the freeze is caused when the auto save occurs (every 5 minutes) - you'll see this appear in the console, unfortunately there's not a time stamp, so you'll have to be aware of when the new auto save occurs.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks both of you. I do appreciate the feedback. That makes sense that memory usage might of jumped on me and caused the freeze.

I was planning on taking Moon Wizards advice and unloading the modules for the actual gaming session because it keeps the tokens used without the modules being loaded. I really like having all these tokens loaded while working on the campaign because its easier to search through them that way. After converting them to mods just made things run so much better but I may have pushed too far.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like FG is trying to save the db.xml file and runs out of available memory when doing so. Task Manager is not a perfect representation of process size.

Additional problems. So do NOT put too many mod files in your module folder.... Even if you dont have them loaded. There is some kind of weird condition that tries to load them or eats up a ton of memory if they are in your modules folder. I could run FG solo and work on my campaign for hours with NO problems but when I was playing with the group I was getting constant freezes and each time it memory had shot up for 1.2GB to suddenly 3.7GB. I made sure all my modules where unloaded so I'm not sure what was causing it.

The fix was to completely remove all the extra modules that I had built and things stabilized out again.

Thread Information