5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

CR and how does it work?

I have always wondered about CR. Could one level 1 player face a CR of 1? How does it work?

Page 82 of the Dungeon Master's Guide (in Fantasy Grounds Reference Manual > Chapter 3 > Creating a Combat Encounter) tells you all about how CR works. The difficulty of an encounter is determined by the average level of the party, how many monsters there are and what their total CR is.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

The base description is that a well-rested, properly equipped party of four adventurers of the same level should be able to handle a single creature of the same CR as the party's level without significant problem or loss of life. Basically, it is an encounter somewhere between medium difficulty and challenging. This changes when you add more creatures or the levels of the characters are different. Also, the situation can influence the difficulty if it favors one side of the conflict or the other.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Wouldn't it be to easy? I thought on it and 4 Goblons for a party of 4 level 1 sounds way easy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chronoknight420 View Post
    Wouldn't it be to easy? I thought on it and 4 Goblons for a party of 4 level 1 sounds way easy
    Depends on what you mean by "too easy". If you look at the part above and notice the "without significant problem or loss of life"?

That basically means to me that a CR equal to the party level is an annoyance and use of daily resources. And you need 6 to 8 of such encounters over a day to threaten the nm lives or success of the party.

I personally usually use encounters of much high CR.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

4 1st level characters according to the DMG has an XP threshold of 100. 4 Goblins have an XP total of 200. According to the DMG this would make a deadly (highest difficulty) encounter for a party of 4 2nd level characters. As Lord Entrails says you can't look at each encounter in isolation; you need to look at the overall situation of the dungeon or wherever the party are adventuring. Typically you will have as he says several encounters between long rests when the party can recover hit points, spells and special abilities. Whilst 4 Goblins may not present a huge problem in the first encounter; if the party have 5 or 6 such encounters then they will begin to run out of healing, spells and abilities. A single hit from a Goblin could easily knock a character unconscious and with their ability to disengage as a bonus action they can perform hit and run tactics.

Overall it depends on how often you allow the party to rest and recover. If you allow this after every encounter then no problem - throw everything at them. But normally rests are not as common and your party will run low on resources quickly - especially at low levels.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Yes that all then comes down to the play style you as the DM run how often you allow short and long rests. How many encounters you have in a play session how long in time is your groups play time is hours. Some groups like nothing but endless combat with a lot of semi easy encounter's and a short rest after 2 to 3 of them. while others might not. I find my group prefers maybe one or two minor encounter's or a bigger one per play session if that? a lot of times we just have investigation and Role play. The CR system takes some getting used to for new DMs.

As I like to do it is goblins starting with 4 and 2 hobgoblins. The goblins are cannon fodder and I can send in waves if it seems to easy.

Quote Originally Posted by chronoknight420 View Post
    As I like to do it is goblins starting with 4 and 2 hobgoblins. The goblins are cannon fodder and I can send in waves if it seems to easy.
    How much D&D 5E have you played or DMed?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yes the reserve is always good when I first started to work with the CR system I found I was under challenging the players and had to have the Monsters call in the Back ups several times. But be careful at the lower levels of first to third Player characters when matching up some stronger CR opponent's some of those can take out low hit point Characters very easy in a One shot Hit.

Thread Information