5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
    Blog Entries

Unseen Servant Question

In all my years of DMing none of my players have used the Unseen Servant spell and neither have I. I am wondering ... I know it is invisible, shapeless force and occupies space??? So my question: Does it have form to block a path of another character? I know 1 pt of damage and it's gone but as force does it have form and therefore if used by an opposing side invoke the rule of not being able to pass through. So for example, could you place an Unseen Servant to block a doorway?

Thank you.

Blog Entries
    No. If I remember right an unseen servant has the "force" of mage hand. Meaning it can exert 5 pounds of force. That is not enough to block any small or medium sized creature from moving through a space.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I only used it when I was my Artificer. I would use it to mend my turret from a distance since it can mind an object.

You can probably also use it to start fires mend a bridge since it floats, things like that.
    Last edited by chronoknight420; October 1st, 2019 at 08:34.

Are you asking can it block an opponent are a friendly character? because you may move through the space of a friendly/ally during your turn just not end there, but may not do so of an opponent unless they or insubstantial incorporeal invisible doesn't cover that. It has Hit points and a AC movement points and occupies a space. So if I get what your trying to do. use it to block movement yes. but not for long Str2 it can easilt be killed attacked at Disadvantage Invisible. Also once you move more than 60 feet from it the spell on it ends, or you move it further than that.
    Last edited by Blackwolf; October 1st, 2019 at 18:06.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
    Are you asking can it block an opponent are a friendly character? because you may move through the space of a friendly/ally during your turn just not end there, but may not do so of an opponent unless they or insubstantial incorporeal invisible doesn't cover that. It has Hit points and a AC movement points and occupies a space. So if I get what your trying to do. use it to block movement yes. but not for long Str2 it can easilt be killed attacked at Disadvantage Invisible. Also once you move more than 60 feet from it the spell on it ends, or you move it further than that.
    Yes Blackwolf, that was exactly what I am trying to do. My group has split nights and we are now running two campaigns. On Thursday we have been going through the "Blue Alley" dungeon off of the DM's Guild. I can highly recommend this adventure as a starter for Waterdeep Dragon Heist and you can buy the it as a .mod file so it just plugs and plays into FG. It has a gauntlet style of play with tricks and traps as well as combat.

The party actually found the exit early on and guessed that the dungeon resets itself. They went through a teleport gate and ended up in the Yawning Portal. They figured they could just return and breeze through the rest of the dungeon. I thought I would ooomph it up a bit by adding a competitive force to the mix. (These are meant to be reacurring adversaries) I did not want to take away the other rooms that they have yet to explore ... so I have the band of Xanathar agents in the room with the mcguffin. There is a trick/trap that is needed to be solved in order to obtain the item and the other party has failed to figure out what needs to be done. They will try to convince them to join forces and/or steal it away from the players' party and claim the prize at the door. The Xanathar's Sorcerer has an Invisible Servant that I will hint at early in their interaction. If the second party grabs and runs, the Invisible Servant will block the doorway. While this may only give me one round of delaying the PCs ... it might be enough time, combining two other distractions ... to give the leaders enough time to escape, hence the question.

Thank you Blackwolf.

I welcome any other comments.

Thread Information