DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Maps, Map Masking, Tokens, and Images not displaying for players

So a few weeks ago I started having a problem with Maps, Map Masking, Tokens, and Images not displaying for my players. I thought it could have been a bandwidth issue and found that my internet connection was not at the speed I thought it was. AT&T had put it to a lower speed without informing me. So I got it switched back to the correct level it was supposed to be at, with it going up to 45 megabit from 18 megabit. At the suggestion of one of my players, I also uninstalled and reinstalled FG on my PC, making sure to delete everything except my campaign folder. After doing this it looked like it was going to be working correctly, but tonight when we started our session we continued to have problems. Neither of these really helped.

Masks with areas unmasked on maps were not displaying correctly for my players. I had to go back and unmask areas I was already showing as unmasked before they were able to see the unmasked areas. When trying to share images, new maps, and NPC tokens, they were not displaying for my users. They could see a blank window pop up for maps and images, and tokens would just display as a red square of the appropriate size. If they logged off the session and reconnected the images, maps, and tokens would appear, but the next time I shared a new one, it would be back to the same level.

I'm running Fantasy Grounds v.3.3.8 with the ultimate license. Pathfinder 1st edition official data files loaded with all the currently available rulebooks (Player Companions, Bestiaries, and others) except Ultimate Combat purchased. Using the Rise of the Runelords Anniversary edition Official AP. We've been playing for over two years on FG with this set-up, the only difference being that at the start I didn't have as many of the Paizo corerule books purchased for FG as they weren't yet available. Using the Pathfinder Official theme, Advanced Player's Guide, Bestiary 1, and Rise of the Runelords Desktop Decals. No other extensions loaded. I also have all the stretch goal items from the FG Unity Kickstarter.

Any idea what could be causing this and if there is a way to fix it? I've seen some things indicating it is a bad idea to have all your modules loaded. I unloaded some of them we aren't using, but again with no effect. Could this be some kind of corruption in my campaign folder causing this? I've had a couple bad crashes over the years and had to restore my db.xml from backups, some times having to go back a few to get a working one, so this also seems like it could be a reason. I've not tried creating a new campaign and sharing some other assets to see if it is the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Hi Delthos

A few questions:

1, How much RAM is FG using on your side with players connected?
    2. How much RAM is FG using on the players side when connected?
    3. Did you edit the image outside of FG between sessions?
    4. How long has this campaign been running?
    5. What size is the specific campaign folder size for this campaign?
    6. If they are you own maps how many pixels are they?

Blog Entries
    This is usually caused by needing to manage how much is shared with the players. If you answer Damned questions, we can then confirm (or not) this and give you specific suggestions on what to do (i.e. unshare images you no longer need, etc)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hello damned,

Answers to questions:

1, How much RAM is FG using on your side with players connected?

This will have to wait until our next session this coming weekend. Right now it is using 1.37 GB with no users connected.

2. How much RAM is FG using on the players side when connected?

This will have to wait until our next session this coming weekend.

3. Did you edit the image outside of FG between sessions?

No, I'm using the maps that come with the Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition AP module. Other than applying a mask between sessions I've done nothing to them.

4. How long has this campaign been running?

A little over two years, averaging 3.5 sessions a month. (26 months)

5. What size is the specific campaign folder size for this campaign?

556 MB. 516MB of that in db session and db backup xml files. A grand total of 285 files. I'm guessing I can probably delete some of those.

6. If they are you own maps how many pixels are they?

Again, not my own. The maps I'm using are a variety of sizes. Some are the small ones that come with Fantasy Grounds and others are those that come with the Rise of the Runelords module. This includes non-map images and tokens. I do have a half dozen maps of my own that I added, but none of them are currently shared.

As for LordEntrails comments about sharing items. I'd already unshared a lot of images and maps about six months ago, before this issue began. I just checked and I had about 15-20 maps and images shared, far fewer than I had shared when I unshared so many things before. I'm currently sharing 9 data modules with my players. (Smiteworks Calendars, Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide, Pathfinder Advanced Race Guide, Pathfinder Core Rules, Pathfinder Melee Tactics Toolbox, Pathfinder Ranged Tactics Toolbox, Pathfinder Ultimate Magic, Pathfinder Ultimate Equipment, and Rise of the Runelords Players Guide.) As far as I can see, this doesn't feel excessive to me. I've been known to be wrong before though.

Blog Entries
    So it doesn't sound excessive to me either, but I don't know those modules so I could be wrong

Something we didn't think to ask and just occurred to me... is it all players or just some players that are having problems? If it's just some players, and those players happen to be using a 32-bit Windows computer, then 1.3GB would be a problem for them

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    I would have one player (after you confirm memory usage), exit the application, go into their FG data folder, then go to \cache and rename the current campaign folder.
    When they reconnect it will download everything fresh - it will take some time - more than 10mins.
    See if that helps. If so - repeat for any other affected players.

It is all users who are experiencing the issue. It began two weeks ago (two sessions).

I will try out having them renaming their cache copy as suggested.

Thread Information