Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Changing from Win 8 to Win 10

Hello all

I recently bought a win10 machine as the 8.1 model is starting to show its wear.

I downloaded the client to the new pc without issue and have connected as a player without issue.

My question is, where is the FG folder in win 10 ?

I found one in the

Username/appdata/roaming/fantasygrounds/campaign

Is this where I should be copying my data ?
    In 8.1 it was in the program data/fantasy grounds folder so I became accustomed to dropping files there.
    Still new to win10.

I will give a specific example

I kickstarted the Tales of the Old Margreve
    I have the mod file in FG which works
    However when I click on the map button on the GM screen the map data is mostly missing.
    I thought "no worries" so tried to copy the map data over to the program data folder. Doh ! no folder. As mentioned I already located the appdata folder so I copied the files into the Fantasy Grounds/Campaigns/Margreve/Images folder I setup.
    I see the map images in the folder on explorer but cannot find the images in Fantasy Grounds. I thought maybe it takes a bit to sync up so I waited. 10 minutes later still no image files.
    It should be under the GM map button "NEW" ground right ? At least that is where it always showed up in win8.1

I know its a simple fix but I cannot wrap my head around it

thanks in advance for the assistance

Best
    DP

When I search in the images and maps folder I can see the campaign map, but it doesn't have the "open book" icon. So I'm guessing I need to look for a folder to share right ?
    Last edited by donpaulo; September 18th, 2019 at 05:40.
    Ultimate License Holder & FGU backer
    playing D&D since 1980

Currently GMing:
    *Opus Christini Traveller campaign

*Currently Playing
    *Currently Looking

The default location for your data is as you have found. The Install defaults to ProgramFiles(x86)/Fantasy Grounds.

I'm not sure what Tales of Old Margreve is but if you have the module in your modules folder and it doesn't contain information then that information is missing from the module altogether. I'm not sure what you mean by the map data is mostly missing. Do you mean you know that there are maps in that adventure that should be ther but isn't? Or are you just expecting maps to be there but don't know if they were in the original product. (not every encounter might have an associated map).

The other thing is are you looking at this from a player or DM point of view? As a player you will only see what the DM has shared in the campaign that you are playing in.

So, can you perhaps clarify a little more.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hey, thanks for answering

I'm looking on the GM side

Tales is a kickstarter with a mod made for FG

In win8.1 when I make my own adventure I just drop the map file into the campaign image folder
    C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds\campaigns\Margreve\images

Win10 doesn't appear to have fantasy grounds in the program folder. Rather its in the apps area.

So I copied the master map from my "kickstarter" folder to the win10 apps/campaign/margreve/images folder
    but it doesn't appear when I look after loading the mod

When I search for it in the GM images "button" the map is there.

I guess I have to edit the original mod

oh and where do I get that snazzy patron highlight ? I'm a backer too
    playing D&D since 1980

Currently GMing:

*Currently Playing
    *Currently Looking

So I took a screen shot or two.
    I haven't fully setup the new comp yet with all my software
    Here you can see the Margreve Map without an associated "open book"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by donpaulo; September 18th, 2019 at 12:25.
    playing D&D since 1980

Currently GMing:

*Currently Playing
    *Currently Looking

This is the view of the Margreve Map folder without the key GM map
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by donpaulo; September 18th, 2019 at 12:44.
    playing D&D since 1980

Currently GMing:

*Currently Playing
    *Currently Looking

As you noted in your first post the location of the FG Data folder is in Username/appdata/roaming/fantasygrounds/campaign. So if you want something to show up in a campaign you will need to place it in the images folder for that campaign. So that would be Username/appdata/roaming/fantasygrounds/campaign/<campaign Name>/images. You can get to the default FG folder by clicking on the small folder icon top right of the start screen. Clicking on the folder icon in the images list should take you to the images folder of whatever campaign you have open.

Make sure that in settings that FG is pointing to the correct location for your data. If you want to change the location for your data you can change the location in settings. If you do change the location you'll need to update FG in order for the data (rulesets/modules etc) to download and install into your new location. It is recommended that you accept the default location since that usually does not have any permissions issues. Anywhere else and you may need to set file permissions so that FG can save data there properly.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks again

The confusion is in this screenshot

The map is clearly in the right folder, yet I cannot access it the "normal way" in FG

Margreve 3.png
    playing D&D since 1980

Currently GMing:

*Currently Playing
    *Currently Looking

dupe post
    Last edited by donpaulo; September 18th, 2019 at 13:19.
    playing D&D since 1980

Currently GMing:

*Currently Playing
    *Currently Looking

You have a folder in your images folder. FG will ignore anything in that folder since it won't see it. This may also be the root of your problem.

When you say access (I assume the Margreve map) in the normal way, what do you mean the normal way? When you click on the image line in the images list does it not open the map?

So using 8.1
    I simply pasted maps into the campaign folder and they popped up under the new tab under the maps and images button. It was super easy to locate the map I needed for the encounter.

In win10 the files do not appear under the new tab in the maps and images button. I can still find it by using the search box but as you can see it is not listed within a mod.

I just thought its curious. How the program operates differently from 8.1 to 10. The files are the same, FG is the same too. Something is afoot and I wanted to try and discover the reason.

Its not a fatal flaw as I can locate the file in the search box, I just became accustomed to finding it files under the "new" tab.

Thank you for pointing out that the folder might be at issue. I have removed it but it hasn't changed anything.

I posted over at the Kobold Press page on FB to see if anyone has had an issue with the mod file missing key maps.

Anyway, its not a burning crisis, just got my interest up when trying to figure out why the data appears differently when the only difference is the win version.
    Yes I know win versions change everything and as you can easily tell I am a bit of a dilettante when it comes to computers
    playing D&D since 1980

Currently GMing:

*Currently Playing
    *Currently Looking

Thread Information