5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Cannot download from a friend's server - at wit's end

During the last game session, all of a sudden anything the DM shared with me, I could not see. Maps, tokens, i just wasnt seeing anything, so I decided to refresh my connection. Ever since then, I can connect to the server but the files do not download to my PC.

I have no issues downloading the files from FG directly, or from another one of my friend's servers. Additionally, no other players seem to have an issue with this particular friend's server. Its just me.

I've tried everything i can think of. Ruled out the router because i was unable to see any change when connecting via my phone's hotspot or the coffee shop's wifi. The fact that my Wife's Mac was able to connect and download the files without issue makes me think its my PC - but I have no idea what to test.

I have completely blown out FG, deleted every registry key I could find, and did a fresh install. I've verified that my network drivers are up to date (they are - but I reinstalled them anyway in case they were corrupt).

Ive opened port 1802 completely on my router, though a lot of the other suggestions ive seen, such as IP flood detection, don't appear to be a feature on my router (its an Xfinity Gateway) so its a moot point.

Before I completely reformat / reinstall Windows, i want to see if anyone else has any other ideas that might be slipping my mind. Ive been at this for about 4 hours and am no close than i was to figuring this out than I was at 6pm tonight.

Thanks in advance

As an additional note, I did attempt to do the download via an ethernet connection direct to the router, but that did not seem to have an effect either.

Blog Entries
    Reinstalling anything won't help. If you can connect and download from other FG servers (hosts) then its not an install or network issue.

To verify, you can connect to a different FG server and download files as normal?
    If your GM creates a new campaign and only shares one or two maps can you download that fine?
    Are you running 32 or 64-bit Windows? (I assume Windows since you mentioned it.)

When you reinstalled FG, did you delete your FG Data directory? If not, that is the file I would delete and then connect. You can delete using the nuke/clear cache icon on the FG launch screen.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    I had something very similar to this on the weekend but the GM ran out of time to continue troubleshooting with me...
    Try having the GM reboot their router and you may as well reboot yours at the same time...

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Reinstalling anything won't help. If you can connect and download from other FG servers (hosts) then its not an install or network issue.

To verify, you can connect to a different FG server and download files as normal?
    If your GM creates a new campaign and only shares one or two maps can you download that fine?
    Are you running 32 or 64-bit Windows? (I assume Windows since you mentioned it.)

When you reinstalled FG, did you delete your FG Data directory? If not, that is the file I would delete and then connect. You can delete using the nuke/clear cache icon on the FG launch screen.
    * I deleted the Data forder, had the system create a new one when I reinstalled.

* I CAN connect to a different FG server and download (did so last Sunday)

* He hasn't tried this. He's removed files from the original campaign, but not created a new one, as far as I know.

* I am using 64-bit Windows 10.

Now, one thing we did try. I got a packet analyzer and a TON of my packets aren't getting to his IP address. I'd say 90% of the packets are retransmitted and still don't make it.

I have sent packets from my router directly and they don't make it. So, I figured its the router. But my wife is on the same network/router and her Mac had no issues, which is why I'm so stumped.

Blog Entries
    So yea, you've identified it as a network thing. As suggested, reboot both routers. I'll would also have the routers check to see if their are bios updates. Might have to rest one or both as well.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    So yea, you've identified it as a network thing. As suggested, reboot both routers. I'll would also have the routers check to see if their are bios updates. Might have to rest one or both as well.
    Both of us reset our routers - no change whatsoever. Wireshark still shows most of my packets just not reaching him. He is logged into his router now to see if there are any messages, but so far, there's nothing to indicate a problem.

You nuked your cache right? The button on the launcher does that. Worth double checking. Sounds to me like it’s your computer nic

Blog Entries
    if you DO get connected but not much happens after that please look for any TCP Flood settings on the router at the GM end and turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    if you DO get connected but not much happens after that please look for any TCP Flood settings on the router at the GM end and turn off.
    To a previous question: Yes, the cache was nuked.

As for the flood protection - if that was an issue, wouldnt everyone else that connects to him have the same issue I do? If NOT, I'll ask him to try, otherwise, i think its a combination of factors on my end.

Thread Information