5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Suggestion: Easily apply damage/healing with the D/H keys

So I submitted an idea to the huge (772+ ideas) pile but I worry that it will just be lost in a sea of ideas, so I'm proposing it here in hopes that people might go vote if they agree:
    https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/fg2app?ia=128329

It would be great for Face-to-Face groups to be able to select 1+ tokens, press the D key, and have the system prompt you for a number, then deal that much damage to any creatures the tokens represent. This would be similar to dragging damage to the token but you don't have to have an actual damaging roll or modifiers applied manually.

This is intuitive and object-oriented as you instinctively select things first then apply damage/healing to them second.

The H key could Heal damage too. Again, simple with no mental math, no hotkey configuring, newbie friendly. Makes it easy to fix things like the player forgot to apply Hunter's Mark damage. he could roll a d6 in chat and you press D and type the value.

Thoughts?

You can do this with the manual dice roller option. I’d I am understanding what you require.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You can do this with the manual dice roller option. I’d I am understanding what you require.
    I turned that option on - it lasted for about 5 mins before it frustrated me so badly because it required a manual input for *every* roll - which isn't what I wanted. Although this - I think - would be possible as an extension - and that way it could also get options to include damage type to allow resistances and such to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Ckorik View Post
    I turned that option on - it lasted for about 5 mins before it frustrated me so badly because it required a manual input for *every* roll - which isn't what I wanted. Although this - I think - would be possible as an extension - and that way it could also get options to include damage type to allow resistances and such to apply.
    Just click the die icon on the popup to get a random roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    Just click the die icon on the popup to get a random roll.
    Yep - but way too much of a PITA - I wanted random rolls unless needed otherwise - and the execution was 100% opposite of the behavior I wanted. We live with the limitations of the product - and it can't be perfect for everyone - in this case that option is worthless for me because it makes me upset more than it helps - I'm sure I could be the very singular only person ever to hate that feature and find it totally worthless - but there it is.

That said I still see this idea having value as an extension that would make things more intuitive for 'roll at the table enter values into the program for tracking' play.

I admit it is a pain to have the manual roll functionality on all the time.

Also, the OP's request has merit. Technically keys aren't directly possible - as FG is specifically designed to not capture key presses in the FG windows (unless a text entry control is selected). This is based on the original release functionality where most people used FG with text entry to communicate - so that you could use various windows, maps, etc. and easily keep typing in chat.

So, maybe buttons/controls in the map might be a way to go - click to enable damage/healing selection, select tokens that will be the recipient of the action, type in the value in a field and then click apply. Then the image goes back to normal selection/targeting mode. I also find that having a graphical toolbar driven solution (not relying on people reading documentation to learn about key-presses) also helps new users as they'll be curious as to what buttons do, but may never know about a hidden key press.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Any reasonable to get something similar with the hot bar keys?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Any reasonable to get something similar with the hot bar keys?
    I started writing about that, but then deleted it, as one of the main things the OP mentioned was making things easier for new users. Because that isn't an easy to use solution either - create a dummy PC with 2 actions - one damage with a d0, one healing with a d0. Drag those two actions to the hotkey bar. Add the dummy PC to the combat tracker and then the map so that targeting on the map can be used - but remember the dummy PC is not an actual creature on the map! Target the creatures that will be the recipient of the damage/healing, type the value in the modifier box and press the relevant hotkey. It works, but newbie friendly? Not at all...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Maybe there could be a 1-click way to turn on manual dice entry for just the next roll, like the modifier buttons at the bottom-left of the FG screen? Or toggle that feature on/off at will? It's one of those things that is really useful sometimes, but I don't want it on all the time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notrealdan View Post
    Maybe there could be a 1-click way to turn on manual dice entry for just the next roll, like the modifier buttons at the bottom-left of the FG screen? Or toggle that feature on/off at will? It's one of those things that is really useful sometimes, but I don't want it on all the time.
    Im pretty sure Celestian did an extension that does that.

Thread Information