5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Infinite loading

I've been having issues loading into my DM's campaign, some of my follow players were also having similar issues however theirs were resolved by resting their routers and re-downloading Fantasy Grounds. I have tried several fixes, including the ones mentioned, yet still my issues persist.

Basically whenever I try to join the campaign I get stuck on the downloading files... screen and the bar loads extremely slowly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you're having issues.

As you haven't listed the several fixes you've tried, I can't guess what you've done. So please forgive me if I'm going over things you've already tried.

Before you connect to the GM, click the folder icon in the top right of the FG launch screen - this will open the <FG app data> directory in a file explorer window. Go to the cache directory. Leave this window open and join your GMs game. Then, in the file explorer window, open the directory that will have the same name as the GMs campaign - there should be some files in this directory - with some of them slowly growing - set the files view in the file explorer window to detailed (so you can see the file sizes) and refresh the file explorer window every few seconds to see which files are increasing in size.

Monitor this for a couple of minutes - are the files still increasing in size? Which files are these? How many files are there? It is probably best to provide a screenshot of this directory after a few minutes of download so we can see what files may be causing an issue.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The file named Campaginname.dat is around 2000kb is growing at a rate of about 1kb/s, maybe a bit slower. This is weird as I tried running a speed test and downloading different things and my download speed is far higher (closer to 10MB/s)

1. The other fixes I tried were checking that neither my nor my DM's routers had flood protection on.
    2. Checking my firewall and driver settings to make sure there were no issues connecting to the internet
    3. completely uninstalling fantasy grounds and then trying to re download from both steam and then the fantasy grounds site (neither worked)
    Last edited by IfICouldRewind; September 8th, 2019 at 13:03.

Yeah, this isn't related to uninstalling/reinstalling.

The campaign data is being downloaded directly from your GM campaign.dat is the main file from the GM and includes lots of data related to the campaign - PCs, shared images, shared stories, shared items, etc., etc.. If the GM has already shared a lot of this data (especially images) and there are a lot of PCs in the campaign, then this data can take a long time to be uploaded from the GM to all of the players connecting. The data is cached locally (that's what you're seeing in the cache directory), so once this is done it should be quicker in future.

There's definitely a slowdown somewhere - more than likely the upload from the GM is getting throttled. What I'd suggest is that before a game, the GM loads their campaign and only you (none of the other players) connect and leave the system to download the data - however long it takes. Once you have all of the data cached locally, it should be quicker to join in future.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I have tried to do that, however once the loading bar is finished I just go back to the main menu, and it's the same issue next time I try and connect.

I haven't check the folders to see what happens to the Campaign.dat file so I can check that after the loading bar is finished this time.

Ok, it finally finished downloading and now the bar is finished loading and nothing has happened it's just stuck there. And yes it did take like 2 weeks for it to finish "downloading files" and my download speed has been fine without, I also checked with my DM and his upload speed is also fine.

Thread Information