DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Campaign Idea, Is this Possible?

Hello Everyone,

I'm brand new to FG but I've played D&D once, and from the start I always wanted to make my own campaign. I believe FG might have most of the tools I need to make it happen. I don't have a license yet but I'm looking to start a regular one before upgrading to Ultimate.

I really want to make a campaign inspired by Zelda 2D Game elements. Oracle of Ages, Seasons, and A Link to The Past

I want to be able to make the Harp of Ages to travel between Past and Present Versions of a map (or between 2 separate areas)

The Rod of Seasons to switch between seasons (again changes the surroundings or moves to a new map that reflects changes, for example a lake turns to Ice to walk over, or Vines grow to make a cliff scalable, The Sun dries up a lake to reveal a dungeon, etc)

Portals to a Dark World, a flipside alternate world, for example a fiery volcano type dungeon would be an ice mountain dungeon in this alternate world, with enemies and items reflecting this Binary.

With time travel being an aspect I'd like certain events in in the past to affect the future.

I have no idea if any of this is possible, all just a dream based on 1 campaign I've ever played.

I'd be grateful for any advise to be pointed in the right direction. I don't mind making this a looong project. Thanks

Hi cosmo welcome to FG.

Maps in FG are static. You need to add the maps to your campaign. So if you wanted to have the same map only with one showing winter and the other spring you would need two maps one with winter and the other with spring. All you would then do would be to move the players from one map to the other.

So, whatever scene you want you will need a map for that scene drawn up to represent whatever weather or season you need.

In the forthcoming upgrade from the current version of FG (called FG Unity) it will be possible to put weather effects onto a map. So it will be possible to have a spring map with snow falling or clouds or rain.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    FG will let you run any campaign you can imagine that can be run around a table (though maybe something bizarre I've never thought of might have issues). It's all just a matter of what automation FG can support. Like Mr. Z said, in your case all you need are maps for the different times or seasons, FG won't be able to automatically make a lake freeze over, but if you create the map in something like CC3+ or Gimp, you can then use functions built into those programs to have different seasons or situations represented. Then all you do is export and use those maps in FG.

Welcome to FG and the RPG community. Lots to explore around these parts

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Hi cosmo welcome to FG.

Maps in FG are static. You need to add the maps to your campaign. So if you wanted to have the same map only with one showing winter and the other spring you would need two maps one with winter and the other with spring. All you would then do would be to move the players from one map to the other.

So, whatever scene you want you will need a map for that scene drawn up to represent whatever weather or season you need.

In the forthcoming upgrade from the current version of FG (called FG Unity) it will be possible to put weather effects onto a map. So it will be possible to have a spring map with snow falling or clouds or rain.
    Awesome! I figured that'd be the only way it would work. I'm really excited for Unity, and on that note, what can I make now that can be converted to Unity and what should i postpone to make in the new engine?

oooo thank you! thank you for mentioning those 3rd party programs. A list of any i must have would be appreciated. So much customization to be done. Although... i wonder if those programs are prepared for Unity? If I make a map, can it be converted to have automation in the update? eg. water shimmers, lava animation, etc

Anything you do in FG now will work in Unity.

For maps those are all .jpg files, so any program that exports in that format will do.

The maps themselves don’t animate. You add a layer with the environmental effects in Unity.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Hi cosmo welcome to FG.

my biggest concern is that I would like to use a master account to play, rather than have everyone online with a demo, I want to be able to play with friends on the big screen in one room together, sharing a mouse. impossible?

Blog Entries
    Nope, not impossible. There are several threads here with pictures of people doing that.

With the Standard license, you can not have anyone connect unless they also have a license, but you can run a second instance of FG on the same computer. You can then have that second instance displayed on a TV or projector for the players to view things. In this case you would only have one keyboard mouse so things might go pretty slow.

But, if you have a second computer and second standard license (or 1 ultimate license) then you can have a second computer displaying on the TV and a wireless mouse and keyboard the players pass around as needed.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosis93 View Post
    oooo thank you! thank you for mentioning those 3rd party programs. ...
    You need to learn to make maps. Do you have any experience already?

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Nope, not impossible. There are several threads here with pictures of people doing that.

With the Standard license, you can not have anyone connect unless they also have a license, but you can run a second instance of FG on the same computer. You can then have that second instance displayed on a TV or projector for the players to view things. In this case you would only have one keyboard mouse so things might go pretty slow.

But, if you have a second computer and second standard license (or 1 ultimate license) then you can have a second computer displaying on the TV and a wireless mouse and keyboard the players pass around as needed.
    if i have an Ultimate license I can do all that? no need for anyone else to login? 1 account running on 2 computers? or do i definitely need at least 2 standard accounts?

Thread Information