FG Spreadshirt Swag

1e vs 2e ruleset

I would imagine this is basically for Celestian because of experience back in 2017 but...

I'm curious, from a ruleset perspective, what the differences are between 1e and 2e. I could download the old community sets that Celestian made, but I'm not sure how out of date they are. And with Unity coming out in a few months... So, I thought I'd ask instead

D

Quote Originally Posted by father0fnine View Post
    I would imagine this is basically for Celestian because of experience back in 2017 but...

I'm curious, from a ruleset perspective, what the differences are between 1e and 2e. I could download the old community sets that Celestian made, but I'm not sure how out of date they are. And with Unity coming out in a few months... So, I thought I'd ask instead

D
    The current AD&D ruleset is the newer version of the old project I had. That project was centered around 2e rules. I did write a 1e extension that works with the current ruleset and makes some minor tweaks (matrix attack tables, the variances in ability score adjustments, using d6 for initiative).

Now, if you want a real break down of AD&D 1e and 2e that's a bit of an ask if you want all the nitty gritty. For me the big differences were moving the initiative system to a more easy to use and faster style, THACO versus matrix (tho even 1e uses THACO in some areas) but this part doesn't really matter since FG tells you what you hit and you don't need to know either method. Dragons, demons, devils and giants got a major boost in 2e. Some spells saw "caps" on damage (fireball max is 10d6 now) and others saw clarification for better understanding. Assassin and Monk were removed from the "core" PHB as a class. Kits were added in 2e (background with a few benefits/restrictions for each, mostly fluff).

If you want a full break down of 1e/2e I'd recommend reading the posts on Dragonsfoot.org.

When I get access to Unity I'll be sure to start making improvements to the ruleset where I can to take advantage

Hope that answered your questions.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information