DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: FG slowing down

Quote Originally Posted by Booker Grimm View Post
    The Scale is at 100%. Is there an extension that completely changes the way the font is generated?

And am I correct in saying that this will be corrected in FGU?

It seems ludicrous that my laptop can run some of the more demanding games but struggles to render a few dice and open windows.

Poorly optimised, sums it up.
    According to Moon Wizard's answer in another thread

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    If you are using the UI Scale setting in FG, then the text is scaled after it is rendered, which can cause text to appear blurry. There's nothing in the current FG engine that will help with that because the current FG Engine allows rulesets to use pre-rendered fonts. In the upcoming FG Unity version, everything is switched to TrueType fonts only, which gives us more options (though display scaling is not implemented yet).

On Windows, changing the OS desktop to a lower resolution gets rid of the need for UI Scale setting, since everything is drawn by desktop resolution.

I'm not very familiar with Wine or Linux; but my guess is that it's a Wine implementation/setting issue that you may be able to tweak in some sort of graphics configuration, or your graphics driver may be doing something extra for certain apps (like Wine). If the latter, you may try looking at disabling antialiasing for the Wine package.

Regards,
    JPG
    everything will be switched to ttf When I understood LordEntrails correctly then this should improve your situation maybe

The Scale is at 100%. Is there an extension that completely changes the way the font is generated?

And am I correct in saying that this will be corrected in FGU?

It seems ludicrous that my laptop can run some of the more demanding games but struggles to render a few dice and open windows.

Poorly optimised, sums it up.
    It works fine for a lot of people, I know that doesn't help you in this issue. But, unless the *exact* issue can the identified, then it's very difficult to "correct" anything.

Standard FGF fonts are already rendered as bitmaps and are just displayed, with very little overhead. If you're using a ruleset (or an extension) that uses TTF fonts instead, then these have to be rendered and could cause slowdown.

A few questions:
    - What ruleset are you using?
    - What extensions are you using?
    - Do you have Windows "scale and layout" set to anything other than 100%? Some info here: https://winaero.com/blog/set-display...ng-windows-10/
    - Is the "Cross-platform compatibility mode for Linux and Mac" enabled or disabled in your FG settings window?
    - Have you tried changing any graphics card settings?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

1. 5e Ruleset
    2. No extensions
    3. Windows is set on 100% scale and layout, running at 1920 x 1080 (Recommended)
    4. Cross platform Disabled.
    5. No anti-aliasing selected on Graphic card settings.

Fraps reports it running at 15fps with no windows open. With the CT open or any other window it drops to 5 fps.
    All the latest drivers and windows updates. Every other program runs fine.

There have been issues reported previously when running overlays (including Fraps).

- Do you see a similar slowdown when not running Fraps?
    - Does the slowdown improve if "Cross-platform compatibility mode for Linux and Mac" is enabled?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I do not normally run Fraps. I only ran it to see how much the FPS drops when the CT or other windows are open. As I mentioned it immediately drops from 15FPS to 5. Down to 2 or 1 with four windows open.
    Enabling or disabling Cross-platform compatibility has no noticeable effect.

I am at a loss to explain it, other than the text is generated in a different way than normal. If I can run Skyirm at 30fps, I should be able to run FG at 100 FPS!

If I can run Skyirm at 30fps, I should be able to run FG at 100 FPS!
    As mentioned earlier, FG uses a very old version of DirectX, which a number of users have reported doesn't run well with their more recent graphics cards. What graphics card does your laptop have? One of the Intel series perhaps?

Yeah, Intel HD Graphics 500.

Not a great card by any means, but it can run Skyrim and Fortnite at about 15-20 fps on low settings. Not great, but playable. That's why I am surprised that a few dice and text slow it to almost a standstill.
    Last edited by Booker Grimm; September 5th, 2019 at 07:36.

We’ve had a few reports over the years of Intel graphics causing issues with DirectX 9.

Blog Entries
    I'm running direct x 12
    Yes, but FG has embedded in it and uses DirectX 9 (regardless if you have a newer version installed)

I don't know if anyone has ever tried uninstalling a more recent DirectX and seeing if that helps, or specifically doing a stand-alone install of 9. Might be worth it since you can always reinstall 12 after testing.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information