Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: FG slowing down

FG slowing down

When I have more than one or two windows open on a laptop that meets the requirements (and exceeds them) FG slows down noticeably.

Can anything be done to stop this?
    My laptop is not connected to anything else and I'm running no extensions and only have the sample 5e module loaded.

Cheers.

Most likely this will have something to do with settings on your graphics card. Try turning down some of the more advanced settings for Fantasy Grounds.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Other than graphics card, another possibility is if you have very little available RAM and are going into Swap. This will depend on installed RAM and what other programs are using. Check your Task Manager.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I have 6 gig of memory. 2.2gz processor and can run most games fine. Its just if I have the map screen open or CT, FG slows to 5 fps.

I think its the software. Not my laptop, but thanks anyway.

Blog Entries
    Its probably a combination of how the software runs on your laptop. i.e. a combination of settings, hardware, drivers, etc.

FG is known to use an old version of DirectX for dice. It also wasn't designed to handle all the advanced capability of current graphic cards. hence the suggestion to "turn down" or off some of the advanced effects in your graphics driver. Most graphic card control panels allow you to set a profile for a specific application. Another indication to tell if it is related to the graphics card/driver; does the behavior change when you are in/out of full screen mode?

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

FG can use around 3gb, the OS depending on configuration can take more, so depending on the overhead of other applications the system will offload some of the apps to the swap file (basically ram on your hard disk, so crazy slow). It will swap things in and out as they are being used which creates speed bottlenecks. If you are curious about what is using how much ram you can control-alt-delete and select task manager, it will bring up a list of what is running and how much it is using.

I've also found that having some websites open can cause slowdowns if their script heavy, like the ones that have dozens of ads and a small bit of text you were actually looking for. Especially when the adware script crashes and drops into an infinite loop in the background.

Sorry for the double post but I just noticed your referencing opening a map. Do you happen to know the pixel dimensions of the map? I got one once from drive thru that was an awesomesauce map that was sooooo huge it sucked the life out of my system every time I tried to move it. The problem was fixed when I resized it downward a bit.

Thanks.

I was looking at the others threads and I believe that it is the way FG generates fonts. The slowdown is definitely related to the amount of text on screen. With the CT open and story window and a character sheet, it slows to a crawl. I think that they are sorting this problem out with FGU, but it is still usable, but annoying all the same. Perhaps it will be fixed in a further update, but I am not holding out much hope. I only used the laptop for my face to face game anyway, and I don't really need a lot open then.

Blog Entries
    One of the things that I think I have picked up about fonts with FG is when using FGFonts that and not running at 100% scaleui it adds to the processing overhead because the fonts are (mostly) not TrueType and hence your adding to the processing load. IF I'm right about that, you can try setting your scaleui to 100% and see if that helps. Not ideal, but might be a workable solution for you (IF it even makes a difference).

The Scale is at 100%. Is there an extension that completely changes the way the font is generated?

And am I correct in saying that this will be corrected in FGU?

It seems ludicrous that my laptop can run some of the more demanding games but struggles to render a few dice and open windows.

Poorly optimised, sums it up.

Thread Information