5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Blurry fonts on LInux and everything is small (images look fine) - DPI issue?

Hi all.

I've recently learned about FG from a friend in my gaming group, and think the program is great. The only problem is that I struggle to see much of it on my new laptop!

The whole program appears small and text is difficult to read. Even when increasing the scale factor using the program settings, the text is blurry. I believe this is a dpi issue but I'm not certain.

Things I have tried:
    - using winetricks to install Microsoft fonts in the prefix where I've installed FG
    - changing my monitor resolution to lower values (even going down as low as 1024x768 - everything still blurry)
    - trying another linux computer (worked great, which is why I think it's the display on my laptop)
    - setting X11 DPI with xrandr to what I calculated was the correct value (no effect on FG)
    - setting wine DPI under Graphics tab in winecfg (made everything bigger but fonts and text in general were still blurry)
    - changing the scale factor value in the FG settings (once again, made everything bigger but fonts still blurry)

I'm about out of ideas. The computer is an ASUS 505dy which has an AMD video card using the amdgpu open source driver. The desktop environment I'm using is XFCE. The wine version is 3.7. I'm posting away from home so I do not have access to the system to provide screenshots, but can do so later tonight if needed. Thank you.

If you are using the UI Scale setting in FG, then the text is scaled after it is rendered, which can cause text to appear blurry. There's nothing in the current FG engine that will help with that because the current FG Engine allows rulesets to use pre-rendered fonts. In the upcoming FG Unity version, everything is switched to TrueType fonts only, which gives us more options (though display scaling is not implemented yet).

On Windows, changing the OS desktop to a lower resolution gets rid of the need for UI Scale setting, since everything is drawn by desktop resolution.

I'm not very familiar with Wine or Linux; but my guess is that it's a Wine implementation/setting issue that you may be able to tweak in some sort of graphics configuration, or your graphics driver may be doing something extra for certain apps (like Wine). If the latter, you may try looking at disabling antialiasing for the Wine package.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    If you are using the UI Scale setting in FG, then the text is scaled after it is rendered, which can cause text to appear blurry. There's nothing in the current FG engine that will help with that because the current FG Engine allows rulesets to use pre-rendered fonts. In the upcoming FG Unity version, everything is switched to TrueType fonts only, which gives us more options (though display scaling is not implemented yet).

On Windows, changing the OS desktop to a lower resolution gets rid of the need for UI Scale setting, since everything is drawn by desktop resolution.

I'm not very familiar with Wine or Linux; but my guess is that it's a Wine implementation/setting issue that you may be able to tweak in some sort of graphics configuration, or your graphics driver may be doing something extra for certain apps (like Wine). If the latter, you may try looking at disabling antialiasing for the Wine package.

Regards,
    JPG
    Thanks for the reply, Moon Wizard. I did attempt to disable antialiasing using keys as described at https://wiki.winehq.org/Useful_Registry_Keys, but it did not solve my issue. It could be possible that the particular DE I'm using (XFCE) is causing the problem. I will try with another desktop environment and see if that solves the issue. In the meantime, things are still usable...my group just has to deal with a few more "where's that?"s.

Thanks.

Thread Information