Starfinder Playlist

Roll on table on result

Hey guys. How do I make the stress dice from my Alien RPG ruleset roll on a table. Looking for a mechanic like that of the d&D5e Critical Hit/Fumble option.

Basically I want for my stress dice to automatically roll a number of dice on a table in game labeled “PANIC ROLL EFFECT RESULTS” if a 1 is rolled.

I just can’t figure out how to call up the roll in the first place. Any suggestions/examples? I think I found it in the 5e code, but there’s a lot of excess from checking other options and Booleans that I can’t determine the difference between what’s needed in my code and what needs to be changed/removed.

You would need an extension to do that I think.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You would need an extension to do that I think.
    Yeah I’m looking for an example of how to code that.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ion&highlight=
    Last edited by pr6i6e6st; August 22nd, 2019 at 14:31.

In 5E the code to initiate the roll for a fumble or critical is handled via OOB messaging - yep, you're going to have to learn about that now!

But, all that really does is call the handleApplyHRFC function that issues TableManager.processTableRoll("", msgOOB.sTable); where "msgOOB.sTable" is the table name to roll on. The dice to roll are set directly in that table.

EDIT: essentially the TableManager.processTableRoll("", "tablename") is the same as issuing a chat command: /rollon tablename
    Last edited by Trenloe; August 22nd, 2019 at 16:17.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    In 5E the code to initiate the roll for a fumble or critical is handled via OOB messaging - yep, you're going to have to learn about that now!

But, all that really does is call the handleApplyHRFC function that issues TableManager.processTableRoll("", msgOOB.sTable); where "msgOOB.sTable" is the table name to roll on. The dice to roll are set directly in that table.
    Lol ok. Yeah I thought I was in the right spot there. So I’ll just have to play around with that a bit. Once I figure out how to work with all that, I can use it for npc attacks and initiative (works by drawing cards in this game, so I’ll be trying to incorporate your card extension somehow)

Ok, cool, thank you. so I got that kind of working, or at least sort of figured out. So which function might I want to look at to tell the table to roll a variable amount of stress dice (dS) rather than what it has stored? Or is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by pr6i6e6st View Post
    Ok, cool, thank you. so I got that kind of working, or at least sort of figured out. So which function might I want to look at to tell the table to roll a variable amount of stress dice (dS) rather than what it has stored? Or is that possible?
    Get it working using the /rollon chat command - see the syntax here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/.../Chat_Commands

Then use whatever you specify after /rollon in the chat as the second argument to TableManager.processTableRoll

For example: TableManager.processTableRoll("", "myTable -d 2dS")

If you want to see the code, look at the processTableRoll function in the CoreRPG TableManager global package (scripts\manager_table.lua).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

oh man, it's so close to working. can the number of dice be a variable?

kind of like:
    nValue = getValue();
    TableManager.processTableRoll("", "myTable -d nValuedS")
    or
    TableManager.processTableRoll("", "myTable -d getValue()dS")

the above doesn't work straight like that,

Quote Originally Posted by pr6i6e6st View Post
    oh man, it's so close to working. can the number of dice be a variable?

kind of like:
    nValue = getValue();
    TableManager.processTableRoll("", "myTable -d nValuedS")
    or
    TableManager.processTableRoll("", "myTable -d getValue()dS")

the above doesn't work straight like that,
    The argument you pass is a string. So, construct that string as you need - look up how to construct LUA strings in standard LUA tutorials. But you can use something like this: "myTable -d " .. nValue .. "dS"

Info on string construction here: https://lua-users.org/wiki/StringsTutorial
    Last edited by Trenloe; August 22nd, 2019 at 21:51.

awesome! that works! it doesn't recognize my stress or base dice that way yet, it seems, but a d6 works just fine in its place. you're a legend.

Thread Information