STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Yet another person unable to host games. Checked everything, need assistance

I don't know what is going on. I recently moved to apartments, but at my old place, I was able to host games just fine. The moment I setup in my new apartment, I am unable to host games at all. I have checked all the usual suspects. I made sure my router is still forwarding port 1802

Port 1802(A).PNG

I checked windows firewall just in case as well:

Port 1802(B).PNG
    Port 1802(C).PNG

And my network is a private one

Port 1802(D).PNG

I am unsure if the network needs to be public or not. And even if it was, I can't find a way to change it to public.

I can connect to my own table through the network on a different computer if I use my internal IP address, but the moment I try to use the alias password, I immediately fail. I am on the internet on the computer trying to host the table.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please provide answers to the 7 questions at the bottom of the first post here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ions-Explained
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I may be boned, according to that, I suppose. I mean, most of those answers are provided in the screenshots.

Port 1802(E).PNG

1. Your LAN IP Address 192.168.1.126
    2. The first two sets (octects) of your WAN IP as displayed by Fantasy Grounds and as displayed by your Router 192.168
    3. Whether you are using Wired or Wireless (and not both) The computer hosting the table (And the only one using FG at all, save for that one attempt at testing) is wired
    4. Confirmation that you have set your Adapter in Network and Sharing Centre to Private As shown in port 1802(D).PNG, it is private
    5. Confirmation of what AV you are running and whether you have set any exceptions Not running an AV
    6. Post the results of the tracert 8.8.8.8 command (if you have security concerns you can remove this bit once its been responded to) Just posted it, according to the post, 'You are very unlikely to be able to setup Port Forwarding without assistance from your ISP - or at all.' As a paying member for 6+ year now..that really hurts the wallet...to not be able to use a program because I'm in an apartment.
    7. Confirmation as to what you have setup in your Router if changes have been made Router is confirmed to have Port 1802 open.

Thanks for posting the tracert. Unfortunately, your new ISP is sharing public IPv4 addresses across many of their customers. This is becoming more and more common as there isn't enough to go round. But, this means that port forwarding won't work - as it needs to be forwarded on the public IP address, and you don't have a dedicated public IP address. This is not something that FG is responsible for, it was fine even 2-3 years ago, and not an issue at all when you first started using FG 6+ years ago. SmiteWorks recognise this is becoming more of an issue for people and FG Unity will help with this issue, but FG Classic probably won't have it's networking redesigned as that would be a big task.

There are ways around this though. Look at the options available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...d-Alternatives or ask your ISP who they can help you play peer-to-peer gaming on TCP port 1802. They may be able to do something, but it might cost you more money each month, so best to look at the options in the linked thread first.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I did look into them. None of them are an option, as some seem sketchy (proprietary stuff and what not) Or require other people to set up the same equipment, or both. They just aren't options. In fact, reading your post, it might not have been an option in the first place, as a few of the players for a game I wanted to set up are from Germany - GM is in a European Country that is well advanced in IPv6 deployment - I don't know if Germany qualifies for that, but it seems like another potential hurdle.

Ahh well. I'm not trying to pin the blame on FG, just sucks that a good tool is unusable now.

Quote Originally Posted by RuleofThree View Post
    I did look into them. None of them are an option, as some seem sketchy (proprietary stuff and what not) Or require other people to set up the same equipment, or both. They just aren't options.
    Look at the PureVPN option. This doesn't require the players to do anything, they just connect as normal. A lot of FG users (me included) use this to host FG games when we can't do port forwarding - traveling, in hotels, at apartments, etc.. There's a monthly fee for it, but it can be pretty cheap if you look at a long subscription. They have a good 7 day money back policy, so if it isn't for you then you can get your money back. Note: you will need the dedicated IP address add on, only this add on, you don't need anything else.

Blog Entries
    I did look into them. None of them are an option, as some seem sketchy (proprietary stuff and what not) Or require other people to set up the same equipment, or both. They just aren't options. In fact, reading your post, it might not have been an option in the first place, as a few of the players for a game I wanted to set up are from Germany - GM is in a European Country that is well advanced in IPv6 deployment - I don't know if Germany qualifies for that, but it seems like another potential hurdle.

Ahh well. I'm not trying to pin the blame on FG, just sucks that a good tool is unusable now.
    90% of the software on your computer is proprietary...

I understand being wary of software like Hamachi, particularly when you're using it for free, but if trust and security are the main concern and a small subscription fee doesn't bother you, I concur with Trenloe - you should give a VPN solution a fair shake. PureVPN is also far from being your only option, and there are providers that either have configuration files for open-source clients, or offer their own clients which are open-sourced, if that alleviates some of your concerns. The setup required is minimal, and you'll find plenty of people willing to help you out either here or on Discord.

Be aware that not *every* VPN solution will work for Fantasy Grounds. A lot of VPNs don't provide unique public facing IP addresses and so we're back to the same issue that the OP had. For example, I used to use HMA a lot - but 2-3 years ago they started sharing public IP addresses and it would no longer work for GMing using Fantasy Grounds. The only one that has been tried and tested by a bunch of FG users is PureVPN with the dedicated IP address add on. Does this mean that PureVPN is the only one? No, it means that this is the VPN provider we *know* works for GMing with Fantasy Grounds.

Blog Entries
    Arguments recommending VPNs for security always make me laugh.
    Even PureVPN which is a pretty big player in that space is owned by a Hong Kong company.
    Now while they have been audited in the past and certified log free there is nothing to stop that changing in the future.
    Most VPN companies are very opaque and you have little knowledge or assurance as to what info they might be collecting or keeping about you and your activities.

Now Im not advocating that Hamachi is a better option in this regard.
    They are a US based publicly traded company worth $4billion as at today.
    Now being US has potential downsides too - they may be required to Log your activity to some extent.
    But they are definitely less likely to a bad actor than a VPN service operated out of a foreign jurisdiction...

At least that is my opinion...

Thread Information