Starfinder Playlist

New to Everything

So...
    I'm new. To everything. FG, this sort of gaming, rules/quests/systems/etc... I really just don't have a clue... but you can't get a degree in computer science and not have a vague idea what is going on.

That said, it all sounds really, really interesting... but I'm not sure that it's for me. Is there a way to spectate? Sit in on a game and watch for a while to get a little more info? (Are there videos of games in progress?)

And, if not, is there a good place to start? It's all very overwhelming... and wikipedia has been some help, but I still feel a little lost.

Any help would be appreciated!

Howdy and welcome.

First... its not that confusing. You can ignore all the stuff about rulesets and xml. Thats for hard core people that are creating all new FG things.

Second, it would help if you know about Role Playing Games (RPG) as FG is a way to play those sort of games from the comfort of your own home. The standard is Dungeons and Dragons/D20 which is the default game set that comes with FG. Creating FG content for other rules are what most people are doing when they build rulesets.

With a 'Lite' version of FG you can join a game to play either DnD or another type of RPG. The host is the DM (the guy who runs the game) and he has all the content needed for you to play that game. With FG you have a character sheet showing your your character, dice to roll, can view images and maps the DM shares, move a token that represents your character on a map, chat in character with the others in the game ect, ect.

To see if its for you... you have 2 options.

1. Find people in your area that play RPG's and see what its all about. If you don't like RPG's you won't like Fg.

2. Spend the $20 for a lite license and ask to watch a game or just join into one letting everyone know that you are new to this. You could head over to FUM (www.fouruglymonsters.com) and they run open 1 shot games from time to time. Dip your toes in and see if you like it.

Have fun!

rv

I guess I knew a hair more than I thought... is there a good primer of RPGs in general anywhere? I have the basic idea, I think, but I like to know details.

In any event, I'll probably just try to spectate a game at some point and see how it goes. Thanks for your help!

Well, you could try this: https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Drag...435108?ie=UTF8

but its for DnD. I've never heard of any book for general use.

Here's the basics:

You get an understanding of the rules for what ever game it is. Talk to the guy running the game and find out what kind of game he runs (even within a given ruleset there are many different ways to run a game). Get an idea of the world he is running in.

Come up with an idea for a charcter. He/She will be you in the game. Use dice or points to build the basic characteristics of that person. How strong, how smart ect.

The you build up a skill set.. what can that character do? Cast magic, fight, pick locks, fly (for super hero games), ect.

When the game is running the DM will tell you where you are and what you can see. You and the rest of the players tell the DM what you do. He then tells you the new information.

The DM plays any other people you meet in the game. Shop keepers, little old ladies, the Mayor of the city, the damsel in distress. He is the interface between you and the world you are playing in.

In essence you are playing a hero like in a book or movie but you get to pick what you do.

If you join a game and like the idea but didn't like the game, keep looking. Every game will be different because of the DM style and the other players in the game.

rv

Can It Be True?

Richvalle: After reading your first response, my immediate reaction was: "Can it be true?" I'm speaking of the ability--with the DM's permission, of course--to "sit in" on a game as an observer. I've been trying to get into a newbie "intro" game--one in which I could become familiar with the mechanics of FG--but, because of my schedule, I've had no luck so far. If I could sit in here and there, I'm sure that I'd be able to pick up on the mechanics without having to bump somebody who is able to commit to a campaign. So, again I ask, "Can it be true?"

Cavalieri: The only other thing that you really should have once you decide that RPG's--and DnD in particular--are for you is a Player's Handbook. That would be the 3.5 version from what I've seen of the ruleset so far. Please, someone else correct me if I'm wrong.
    Sed quid custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nope, you are right... 3.5 players handbook or you can get most the info from www.d20srd.com.

Sure Yenooc, you can sit in on a game if the DM of that game says 'ok'. Basicly you would be a player logged in but not doing anything.

I usually play on Thursday nights starting about 7:00 Central time and going till 10 or 11 at night. If you'd like you could sit in on a game.

Or, if we could arrange for some time we both have free you could log in here and I'd show you the baisics. I think you would get more from that in less time.

I could probably spend some time on this on this Sunday night if you like.

rv

Awesome!

That would be fantastic!

I'll be free part of Sunday (10/22), from 3pm until about 9pm (PDT-Washington state), and I'll be free all of Thursday (10/26). Just let me know what works for you.

I'll also have someone looking over my shoulder, and another person in New Jersey waiting to hear how it all went. Both of them are planning to purchase lite licenses soon--probably by Sunday, but no later than next week.

I'll check here regularly to see if we'll be able to make this work.

Thanks,
    Yenooc
    Sed quid custodiet ipsos custodes?

Ok, I was hoping for later on Sun but maybe can do earlier. Tell you what. Keep checking here and if I can make it I'll post a message or send you a PM.

rv

I might be interested in sitting in on Thursday... I'm not entirely sure what my schedule is going to be like later this week, I'll check back in later on.

New guy here too. Been playing rpgs for 26 years since junior year in high school. Now that all of my friends are moved away this program has brought us back together to play once a week after the kids have good to bed. Now we get to play more often than every year at Gen Con.

I bought a full version for myself, and four Lite copies at Gen Con. My players love this product, and we just use the default d20 look for all of our games. When we do play d20 we all basically use the SRD from Wizard's site.

Great program, keep up the good work!

Thread Information