5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 4 of 114 First ... 234561454104 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    The control key is the assigned key for toggling the snapping. Adding wall points uses a different snapping mechanism than, say, moving a layer. I've just taken a quick peek and the control key binding is not being used for wall snapping. Thanks for noticing.
    You are welcome. I am glad this feature already exists!-) TY for quick positive response.

A few observations from doing (Hoard of the Dragon Queen) Carnath Roadhouse (Player).

1) First of all, it’s coming along, but it’s two levels, and I’m only halfway through.
    No big deal except... I am using the circle for the pillars, and they are chewing up points voraciously. I know that optimization is a poor idea to do early (premature optimization and all that) but... in the interest of doing maps efficiently and enlisting willing volunteers, I’d suggest paring down the number of points in a circle by about 2/3rds when the circles are small, tight, relatively insignificant (e.g., pillars). The pillars on this map are the vast majority of points, and it’s slowing the mapping down.

And... I still have a whole ‘nother level to do.

I suggest optimizing out many of the points from small scale circles to prevent unnecessary clutter/slow-down from excessive map points.

Workaround: Don’t use circles for numerous columns/pillars, but they are convenient so it’s nice to use them. OR don’t do pillars at all (when a simple wall will suffice). Only do pillars and columns when they’re standalone, i.e., necessary.

2) Also, I dearly love the UNDO. TY!
    May I recommend a REDO? When the mapping is slow, or very experimental, a few UNDOs deserve a few REDOs. But REDO does not seem to exist. Could you add REDO?

3) SPECIAL REQUEST: Please remove the SNAPPING to nearby points. I don’t know how everyone else is doing maps, but I’m having a bugger of a time getting points where I want without having SNAP gobble them up to a location I do not want. I even tried zooming way in, without success. The snapping even causes points to jump after they’ve been (seemingly successfully) placed. Ouch. This becomes a real problem with doors (for me). I guess everyone is doing overlapping walls w/doors? I figured I’d go for accuracy, but it gets frustrating in tight corners, quarters, and proximities.

Wishful thinking, or could SNAPPING be disabled or turned off? TY (I still like the idea of vertical and horizontal proximity snapping, and CONTROL key to disable SNAPPING.)
    Maybe all I need is that CONTROL key SNAPPING toggle moved up to a RSN (tm) update (if the current snapping is considered a feature)?
    Last edited by Guoccamole; August 24th, 2019 at 20:16.

LOS 5E MODULE MAPPING: “Hoard of the Dragon Queen”

Here is my first MODULE MAPPING adding FGU Line of Sight (LOS) for:

"Hoard of the Dragon Queen"(D&D 5E).
    LOS Player Maps:

27 Players maps - complete, some quite huge.

Please let me know if you notice any shortcomings/oversights, or have any comments, suggestions, or questions.
    TY!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Guoccamole; October 20th, 2019 at 19:06. Reason: Create central post for updates to MODULE MAPPING for 5E module “Hoard of the Dragon Queen”

Quote Originally Posted by Guoccamole View Post
    3) SPECIAL REQUEST: Please remove the SNAPPING to nearby points. I don’t know how everyone else is doing maps, but I’m having a bugger of a time getting points where I want without having SNAP gobble them up to a location I do not want. I even tried zooming way in, without success. The snapping even causes points to jump after they’ve been (seemingly successfully) placed. Ouch. This becomes a real problem with doors (for me). I guess everyone is doing overlapping walls w/doors? I figured I’d go for accuracy, but it gets frustrating in tight corners, quarters, and proximities.

Wishful thinking, or could SNAPPING be disabled or turned off? TY (I still like the idea of vertical and horizontal proximity snapping, and CONTROL key to disable SNAPPING.)
    Maybe all I need is that CONTROL key SNAPPING toggle moved up to a RSN (tm) update (if the current snapping is considered a feature)?
    There is a toggle for snapping in the toolbar, looks like a magnet You can turn that off via clicking on it I personally like the snapping it fastens many processes, but I never used overlaps, I rather aligned the things with the walls (by using extra nodes in walls, but I draw walls at the end such that I just have to snap to the nodes of doors etc.) and it works nicely for building secret doors although there might be a secret door function at some point (due to what was said in the last Twitch stream) So, I would be sad about a remove of the snapping
    Last edited by Kelrugem; August 25th, 2019 at 00:59.

Thanks for the feedback.

Pillars
    I'll pass your feedback along to Carl and Doug, if they haven't already seen it. It's definitely something to discuss, and decide if we should do anything now or later.

Redo Actions
    All image editing operations are supposed to have undo/redo support. I know that it was working at one point, but there have been a lot of changes in that area of the UI. Filed as task FGU-450.

Snapping
    Snapping should be controlled by the toggle that Kelrugem mentioned. The Control key is supposed to invert, and that one is filed as FGU-451.

Regards,
    JPG

@Kelrugem TY for the magnet tip. Just what the doctor ordered. Perhaps you have a better technique and order for building than I do, but the snapping toggle helps a lot with my current process. TY

@Moon Wizard: TY for registering the issues. FYI, my UNDO attempts were via Shift-Control-Z. I assume that’s the UNDO key but if it’s elsewhere, I could check a different shortcut. TY

Quote Originally Posted by Guoccamole View Post
    @Kelrugem TY for the magnet tip. Just what the doctor ordered. Perhaps you have a better technique and order for building than I do, but the snapping toggle helps a lot with my current process. TY
    You're welcome I do not know if my process is better, I only did the first level of DotMM (though which is pretty big) so far (and accidentally Doug also did that map, so I should better have chosen another map but I am also not sure if my way is good enough for official modules, so maybe better that other people are doing the maps )

Added map "Castle Naerytar - Dungeon (Player)"

The dungeon map is interesting because 1) no doors, and 2) lots of nooks and crannies. Latest LOS module mapping is available at https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post450748

The nook and crannies are interesting because they beg the question of how precisely to track the walls or, in pragmatic terms, how small of nooks to "capture" for LOS in terms of hiding. I tried to capture corners and nooks smaller than man-sized but not much smaller. So a compromise.

I am curious if the map LOS comes across as harsh (acute LOS shapes to capture key corners) or just fine in practice.

Share your comments if you get a chance to peek at the map. TY
    Last edited by Guoccamole; August 25th, 2019 at 16:40. Reason: Remove extraneous attachment, point to central LOS post for this module.

WOTC: D&D Tactical Maps Reincarnated > Map#1 (Broken Bridge)
    I will work through all the maps from this resource...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information